*Pics update Need to decide what sub to go with

eggyhustles

Reaction score
Re: Need to decide what sub to go with

OP...honestly..i think it's midbass that you're craving instead of another sub.

Keep what you have for now and start working on your front stage.

If then, you still think you need a sub..get a new one.

maddmatt02

Reaction score

Go ssa!!!!

Even the audio guru Ryan almost went with some dcons

well, since there is no dc authorized dealer near me I get the subs for team DC price, which are pretty good deals...

might have to throw a pair of level 3's to a zed kronos or an sax1200

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score

Go ssa!!!!

Even the audio guru Ryan almost went with some dcons
if i ever end up in a wagon or something i can't infinite baffle, a pair of those 12s ported in the larger enclosure they recommend (and their recommended sizes are right on)...hard to beat for the size of the box vs price.

the daytons are about the same price and will go in the same sized box, but i'd rather support an american-made product so the choice is easy...
OP...honestly..i think it's midbass that you're craving instead of another sub.

Keep what you have for now and start working on your front stage.

If then, you still think you need a sub..get a new one.
i believe integration or "blending" is essential to good sound.

anyone wants to test it, simply unplug or turn off your mids or tweeters and listen to how terrible it sounds, even though it was nice with everything playing.

or play the sub by itself...it will sound like it's playing a very, very narrow band of music.

if the OP wants to go low (and i'm guessing that RF is close to not being able to be tuned any lower)...there has to be more airspace, lower box tuning, and/or more subs. i'd personally dig up a pair of those MB Quart RWE/PWE 15s and put them in the biggest box i'd want to fit.

that is, if i didn't like my 14 cubic foot box :lawl:

dustint209

Reaction score

When I listen to rock music I turn my bass knob way down and it blends in nicely with the other speakers. When I listen to rap all I care about is low, big bass. So no, i'm not worried about mid-bass right now. I was looking at the mb quart. They would probably do ok. It's just weird how they flip around the surround on them. Any advantage to this?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score

only benefit i can see of the flipped surround (i'm not speaker engineer) is that it doesn't stick out. probably 95% of the time you use the sub, it won't be hitting Xmax...so the surround is protruding an extra 1/4" or 1/2" all the time. thats more of a concern with limited-space installs but still...i'd like to see it on more drivers. HATs use the inverted surround on their midbass drivers...so theoretically, you'd avoid the surround hitting the door panel and the cone would clear it (imagine the inside of the front speaker grilles...).

so the situation remains the same: more airspace, more drivers, more lows. a 15" ported at, say, 25Hz will be very loud...but a pair of infinite baffle 15s will destroy it in the lows (and actually use less trunk space).

dustint209

Reaction score

how would i do a ib setup? a 15 wont fit on my rear deck and i dont have a fold down armrest in the back. maybe i can cut a big hole in the seat. jk

eggyhustles

Reaction score

if the OP wants to go low (and i'm guessing that RF is close to not being able to be tuned any lower)...there has to be more airspace, lower box tuning, and/or more subs. i'd personally dig up a pair of those MB Quart RWE/PWE 15s and put them in the biggest box i'd want to fit.

that is, if i didn't like my 14 cubic foot box :lawl:

I remember treetop from diyma telling me he had nice smooth bass with 2 of the 15's in 4 cubes sealed with a lot of polyfill.

eggyhustles

Reaction score

how would i do a ib setup? a 15 wont fit on my rear deck and i dont have a fold down armrest in the back. maybe i can cut a big hole in the seat. jk

Seat back
DSC00449.jpg

dustint209

Reaction score

sorry but im still confused. are the speakers mounted flush against the rear seat? or is that a panel and the seat is folded down. how does the bass enter the cab of the car? ive seen some fi ib subs for cheap. lots of xmax to

Back