transmission

uhkord98

Reaction score
i think my transmission is going out, i have 119k on it, auto. how much is a new one? how do you know for sure if its going out?

Neight

Reaction score
man,sorry to hear that. The tranny cost about 4,000 for a new one. Mine went out in August, and I took it to a tranny shop. I had mine rebuilt for 2,300. it isn't gonna be cheap. You can tell when the tranny is going out when you car jolts every time you shift. you can feel it. What year is your car? 98?

uhkord98

Reaction score
yea its a 98 4cyl. it feels kinda like its slipping a little. and seems to take a little more to get up to speed.and also just driving down the interstate it seems like it is at a higher rpm than normal.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mine actualy blew up on me one night on my way home from work - when it was snowing. CEL came on, cleared it, drove fine. On my way home from work the next night - it finally went, wouldn't shift in any gear and had to pull off, let it cool, then go again. Took it to a shop the next day, long story short - they fixed it but they kinda ****ed me over and it cost $1800 for a rebuild, that was my birthday present to myself.

When it was acting up it would shift hard and I mean HARD and when it did shift it would'nt actually shift until like 4 grand almost. I could almost rev it to redline before it would shift sometimes, of course at that point it was completely gone. 2nd and 3rd gear bands, clutches, and a few other misc parts. Been driving fine ever since but there's no warranty on it and if it does go again....5spd swap.

Tranny's do not cost $4k for our cars unless you're getting a fully built one for racing or you buy it brand spanking new from the factory. If anything you might pay upwards of $1k for one from a junkyard and usually those come w/ a warranty from the junkyard. I myself wouldn't pay that much for one if I was just gonna replace it, $500-600 tops and then install it myself.

Neight

Reaction score
kinda simillar to what my tranny did. It would shift really hard. Got mine rebulit and now it shifts very smooth.

uhkord98

Reaction score
yea it just feels like it takes more to get up to speed sometimes. and yea it was shifting weird around 4K. im hoping it wont cost too much to rebuild it.

TitaniumACC

Reaction score
for that price, why don't you put a manual transmission instead ? it's like 200-300$ for the transmission... or why don't you save some bucks and swap a H22 in it ?

klee

Reaction score
126K on mine and still runs fine. I'm pretty anal when it comes to changing tranny fluid. I change it out every other oil change. Knock on wood.

Back