ABS to Non-ABS anyone attempted this???

kn0x47

Reaction score
The only real issue would be if you have full coverage and you rear end someone and the insurance company finds out you took out the ABS then they could refuse to pay. ABS really isn't needed though

Brad2274

Reaction score
just barely unplug the module and in the case of an accident quickly push the plug in hahah

jdmcg3

Reaction score
just barely unplug the module and in the case of an accident quickly push the plug in hahah

i wanna some how hook up a toggle switch. and just turn it on and off when ever i choose. like rainy days its on, then "cruising" days its off.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
You don’t need to do anything with the module, you can just remove one of the wheel speed sensors. Or cut the wire to the sensor since there is a hole in the hub and ideally there should be something to fill it so water, etc doesn’t get inside.

When an ABS sensor goes bad or other problem is detected, the whole ABS system is disabled. One of my sensors went bad a couple years ago and I’ve been driving without ABS since.

2002CG3coupe

Reaction score
The only real issue would be if you have full coverage and you rear end someone and the insurance company finds out you took out the ABS then they could refuse to pay. ABS really isn't needed though
I thought most insurance adjusters only examine just the exterior damage of the vehicle when its involved in an accident.....I might consider that in my decision.....::Knock on wood:: but I doubt I'll find myself in an accident ::Knock on wood:: :smash:

You don’t need to do anything with the module, you can just remove one of the wheel speed sensors. Or cut the wire to the sensor since there is a hole in the hub and ideally there should be something to fill it so water, etc doesn’t get inside.

When an ABS sensor goes bad or other problem is detected, the whole ABS system is disabled. One of my sensors went bad a couple years ago and I’ve been driving without ABS since.
Wait so what your saying is a faulty speed sensor deactivates the abs module, I didn't know that. If that's the case, I rather not cut it or do anything in particular with my speed sensors, I prefer the same result as yours.......don't AV6 have have TCS is that disable too???

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Not sure about TCS, that's only on 01-02's and mine's a 99.

But yeah, to my knowledge any problem detected in the system disables it until the problem is fixed. My right rear sensor went bad a couple years ago, and the ABS light was on all that time. And I know the ABS was disabled a result because I would fool around in the snow in a parking lot late at night and the ABS never engaged when I would slam my brakes. There have also been a couple times I had to brake hard in the rain, and the ABS should have engaged, but didn't since the system was disabled from the bad sensor.

The ABS light isn't on anymore due to my swap lol, but the ABS still does not work. I will be replacing the sensor soon though, so it should work after that.

2002CG3coupe

Reaction score
Nice lol sounds like fun in the snow haha......so I take it that you prefer having abs working in your car; is the stopping distance much longer compare to when it has abs?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I can't say I have compared stopping distances personally. But the whole idea of ABS is to prevent the wheels from locking up, thus stopping the car faster. The natural human reaction to needing to stop fast is slamming on the brakes, the ABS helps to circumvent that and bring the car to a halt in a more efficient manner. So I would think the distance would be shorter with ABS, otherwise all the cars being made with ABS to this day would have been for nought, lol.

I don't feel as safe with no ABS, I mean I can do what I need to do to get my car to do what I want it to do. But in rain and snow I leave alot more room between me and the car in front, because frankly I do not trust the brakes as they are now, even though I've been driving the car a couple years w/o ABS.

2002CG3coupe

Reaction score
Total understand why ABS is now standard in most if not all car brands, it just makes sense for safety reasons.....I figure after replacing my lines, I will try jdmcg3 suggested idea and drive a week without ABS and potential wet weather just for the experiences and take it from there......

I know from driving my first high school car, 1990 Toyota Corolla, ABS wasn't equipped with the vehicle and it stopped like a champ in wet/snow weather. Is the vehicle weight another factor I should consider???

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back