Aem ems

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
thnx for correcting me Money. Still learning about Standalones.

Nobody is running it with an AT, it is only compatible with AUTO motors that are running a 6mt.

so. If Halabeaster's engine is using manual type sensors (can't remember MAG or HAL?), then his EMS won't work correctly unless he swaps out to the AUTOMATIC type sensors, correct?

also, while your in here. How difficult would it be to set up a Automatic tranny controller with the EMS. which is what I would need to do since I use automatic due to being paraplegic.

MoneyPit

Reaction score
thnx for correcting me Money. Still learning about Standalones.

so. If Halabeaster's engine is using manual type sensors (can't remember MAG or HAL?), then his EMS won't work correctly unless he swaps out to the AUTOMATIC type sensors, correct?

also, while your in here. How difficult would it be to set up a Automatic tranny controller with the EMS. which is what I would need to do since I use automatic due to being paraplegic.

No worries Michael. The auto motors use MAG and the manual motors use HAL, so yes, the sensors will all have to be converted over to the MAG sensors in order to run this EMS.

I don't think it'd be that difficult to build a separate module to run the tranny, but I'm not the guy to talk to about doing it. There's a guy on j32a.com with a j35 turbo civic who did exactly that - get in contact with him and see if he can hook you up :) Here's his OP:

Yeah, I didn't know what else to do. The car, na, with the stock ECU running the engine and trans would shift fine except if you went past say 75% throttle. Say you floored it from a stop, 1st to second would shift fine at redline but the car would not shift from 2nd to 3rd. It would bounce off the revlimiter till you let off then hit 3rd. Once in 3rd and past the downshift rpm you could floor it again and it would shift into 4th at the redline. Using tiptronic mode was no different. No codes at the time and I tried a base model ECU and a type-s ECU. Both did this.

Any other Auto swap people have this problem???

I knew I would be switching to the AEM EMS anyways and knew something would have to be done to control the transmission. So I built a controller myself. Its not perfect but does work really well. It controls the 3 shift solenoids and pressure valves based on your gear selection from the tiptronic shifter. Basically its how Tiptronic should work from the factory. Hard shifts instantly when you upshift.

IMG_3847.jpg

When I rebuilt the trans I opened up 3 passages slightly and messed with the accumulators. Nothing major at all - I wasnt totally sure what I was doing, but it shifts very hard. Like I said, chirps 2nd and 3rd with the slicks. 4th is just a little soft.

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
I don't think it'd be that difficult to build a separate module to run the tranny, but I'm not the guy to talk to about doing it. There's a guy on j32a.com with a j35 turbo civic who did exactly that - get in contact with him and see if he can hook you up :) Here's his OP:

I'm over there. I saw his thread and have seen his vids on Youtube. Wanted your input. Thanks a bunch.

...back on Topic:

..... The auto motors use MAG and the manual motors use HAL, so yes, the sensors will all have to be converted over to the MAG sensors in order to run this EMS.

So, Mr. Halabeaster, you probably did not wanna hear this but, in order to run the AEM EMS you have. You are going to have to swap out your HAL sensors for the MAG sensors.

MoneyPit

Reaction score
^I think he has the auto sensor setup, if I remember right he was running Richie's harness.

Halabeaster54

Reaction score
^I think he has the auto sensor setup, if I remember right he was running Richie's harness.

I was running richies harness. So my speedo won't work? What else Doesnt work, I have a 98.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

MoneyPit

Reaction score
Just the speedo. You'll have some re-pinning to do, like 4-5 wires, but that's it.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
so using the EMS on a 99 4cyl my speedometer wont work? what kind of crap is that for the price tag of the EMS..:confused:

+1... How much truth does this hold? Wondering because I had a HUGE issue with my speedo when I was getting tuned on the EMS, it would work for a little then falter and die/fall to 0. Then every time pressure was added to engine with throttle, it would jump up depending on if there was pressure on the throttle or not. Weird.. Wondering if this has something to do with it?

akoutmos

Reaction score
The only gauge that won't work with my 1050 AEM ems unit is the coolant temp gauge. Although when i was tuning Chido's ems he told me that his coolant temp gauge was in fact working. He had the 1010 unit if i remember correctly.

I need to look at the wiring diagrams of the other models of accord, but to my knowledge the only issue that i've read about having issues is the coolant temp.

1NonlyAccord, i wouldn't say that it is a piece of crap for the price. In fact given it's price and what it does its a good deal. The stand alone platform that AEM is built on is GEMS, which is a proven platform used typically in high end motorsports. AEM does a lot of the work that makes it plug and play for your every day cars (which includes making the base maps that are shipped with their ecus). Other ecu's of the same caliber can go past the 3k mark and custom harnesses have to be made. It's not feasible from an aftermarket perspective to make sure that your hardware works with every single nuance of every single piece of electronics in the car from the original manufacturer. Their product is meant for racing and high end applications. If you want stock drivability and functionality, you are looking into the domain of piggy-backs which give you quite a bit of functionality over what the stock ems is programmed for, while allowing the stock ems to do the stuff that it is meant to do and not what is in the problem domain of the programmable ems.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
^ Well put Alex. I'm in the boat where I haven't had a temp gauge issue or a speedo issue either.. Until I did intermittently, then both would return to normal.. then randomly start acting up again, then return to normal etc.. WTF?? :thinking:

Note: Not directly related to each other when symptoms were present. Each would do it whenever it pleased independent of the other. I thought it was a faulty engine harness.

akoutmos

Reaction score
^ Def could be. Electronics are a double edged sword in cars. Awesome to have given the benefits they offer. But a pain in the *** when they go wrong. A lot harder to diagnose an electronics problem because most of it is black boxed (you don't really know what's going on inside). Either way, given the amount of people that have had success with AEM and other programmable units, i see no reason why the unit he is thinking of buying can't be rigged to work in his car. So long as you know how to do some wiring magic it should be a breeze.

I've advised Halabeaster54 in one of his other threads, and my input wasn't appreciated, so i'll stay out of this one :p

Back