apexi or else?

accordator

Reaction score
sorry if this is a repost but ive been searching before i ask. but many posts i found are either people went to their personal tastes or popularity. well there're numerous of exhausts out there like apexi, greddy, magnaflow, megan, hks, etc. with differnt price tags. i was searching a dyno chart on each company, but unfortunately, greddy and magnaflow were the two i could find.

im planning to buy a exhaust for my v6 neither upon my personal taste or popularity - i want performance. from the dyno chart, i saw both greddy and magnaflow were managed to gain 10hp+ on accord (non-specific model). ive been thinking about getting apexi like many people said they perform great. but i would like to know how much hp gain in my v6 with apexi.

the look is second thing i concern about fartcan, fartcannon..whatever, performance is first thing that i concern the most when spending kind of money on this upgrade. speaking from your experience, which one performs the best?

theaccordian

Reaction score
if you want top quality. best combo of sound, perforamcne, and looks. Go with comptech. But youre gonna have to empty your wallet. Magnaflow look and sound similar to comptech and are alot cheaper, but dont perform as well.

theaccordian

Reaction score
if you want comprehensive v6 info check out v6p.net Most guys over there have concluded that catbacks lose more power down low than they gain up top.

So if it was my choice id stay stock and get a nice TLS muffler.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
+10 hp is with the use of aftermarket intake and header(s).... just a catback itself doesn't make tht much power.... i like the apexi mufflers... WS1 or WS2 are really nice looking and sounding.. greddy is nice too, but a lil too loud for my taste, esp the evo muffler...as long as u stick with a brand name, u won't get that fartcan sound :D

accordator

Reaction score
omg. so you are saying if i spend ~1k$ on the aftermarket upgrades, my car would only gain 10hp? (thats intake, header, and exhaust)....*so confused*

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
yep. unless you go turbo/s.c. or build your engine (like a couple are doing), you wont gain much. its a family car, not a race car :D but, those mods will make the car more fun to drive. also, dont just stop there. you have a v6 so you can look into cl-s cams, and of course the comptech supercharger. like theaccordian said, go on over to v6p. were both 4 cyls but were members :) just be sure to search before asking n00b questions--there are some real search nazis...

accordator

Reaction score
theaccordian said:
if you want top quality. best combo of sound, perforamcne, and looks. Go with comptech. But youre gonna have to empty your wallet. Magnaflow look and sound similar to comptech and are alot cheaper, but dont perform as well.

excuse me if this sounds noob. but i just went to comptech's site, and saw their exhausts cost $669 at retail price, for 98-02, compare to magnaflow costs 779$ at retail. ive been to some retail shops and seen the apexi ws2 costs nearly $600.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
well, our engines, both I4 and V6, are SOHC motors... thus, not very responsive to bolt-ons... if u're a V6, i suggest u save up for a comptech supercharger, and forget abt the bolt-ons for now... unichip is good too if u can get one at a decent price... plug and play

wg2k7

Reaction score
if you get an exhaust and you really just want performacne get a single exit. youll get a better amount of torque with the single and if you get a good free flowing exhaust minus cats and stuff youll get the same hp. i have a magnaflow dual and i can feel the loss of torque as much as i can feel the gain in hp. i have a v6, and if you have 6 grand laying around, get a supercharger and dr evil tranny. if you have even more spendable money, swap in a cl-s engine and tranny and supercharge that. youll be putting around 300-330 to the wheels on low boost, which for an accord is incredible. either way your accord wont be a supercar, just do some quality upgrades and itll be a good all around car. id go intake, headers, exhaust, coilovers, strut bars, and you have a good looking, good sounding, decently performing car

accordator

Reaction score
sounds like i/h/e are only for the look and sound, but not performance. i just read somewhere on v6p that if i/h/e are installed, the car actually gains a little hp but at the same time loses lowend power, just like what theaccordian said. i just looked at the supercharger kit costs nearly 4k$. and s.c. would hurt the engine too, i doubt my "old" car (nearly 132,000mi now) could handle it.

at the moment makes me think about trading my car in for something else... :(

Back