auto tranny flush

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Instead of doing a drain/refill three times in one session, you could just get it changed every 6000 miles. I change oil every 3000, and get trans fluid changed every other oil change. My auto is running strong.

Also, for all of you asking where to find plugs, how often to change, etc etc...buy a Haynes manual. $12 - $15 at an auto parts store and it's got everything you will ever need to know, at least about routine maintenance such as what is being discussed here.

Last edited:

BcjammerX

Reaction score
I'm a former mech. so I'm mechanically inclined ;) and I just changed the radiator out and noticed my 00 accord 4cyl had a tranny oil cooler.

So I've got two lines, one feeding the cooler one returning the fluid. So I though, take a BIG container, fill it with tranny fluid, attach a long tranny fluid approved hose into it, and let 'er pull it out. Connect another hose into an empty container for waste.

HOWEVER...

here's the quest. Is the tranny pushing fluid into the cooler and also sucking the fluid out, or is it just pushing the fluid only.

I would assume it is pushing the fluid into the cooler only from what I know of auto trannies and as such, my idea would not work.

*added...no one's got ideas on that yet? Cool...well I've got a "vacula" so I'm going to do the regular 3x d&f plus use it to pull the fluid through the lines.

Since my idea isn't something I want to "try" I will wait till I "know" otherwise I risk running the tranny dry...not good.

Last edited:

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
u should drain it then drive it for like a day first then drain it again. so the fluid can circulate.

BcjammerX

Reaction score
well my idea of pulling it all through one of those lines didn't work, I didn't think it would but figured since I was there why not. I did clean those lines our some more. course it did flush the cooler pretty well.

Good idea younglemon, I'll check it tomorrow, it'll get some good driving by then. If it isn't as red as I want then I might.

I think, since I'm so anal about keeping the fluids clean, I'll go with redreyder's idea, I'll prolly d&f every 5k or every other 5k.

why 5 not 6? Well I run synthetic motor oil (castrol syntec) so I only change my filter every 5k and d&f my oil every 15k. We'll see how it looks in another 5k though and I'll make my decision then as to every 5k or every other.

My fluid was 15k old so it needed it no matter, was a bit purple...time to change!

Would love to run synthetic tranny fluid as well.

off topic:
When I worked with toyota, we did d&f every 15k, dropped the pan and cleaned the in car filter every 30k. With toyota's synthetic, we d&f every 30k, dropped the pan every 60k. Now they have even newer synthetics that you don't touch for 90k :O and coolant as well. Love to get that stuff...but this isn't a toyota and I don't know if their trannies are designed around that 90k stuff.

Course we don't have a tranny pan or in car filter like those either ;)

As to switching to synthetic, I've been using non honda atf (name brand though) with no issues so I don't see why non-honda synthetic atf would hurt either.

DOES honda make synthetic auto tranny fluid? Toyota's is called T-4 or something...same for honda? for some reason I think I've asked that before...

rwong410

Reaction score
I believe there are only two types of Honda Transmission Fluid, Honda ATF and Honda MTF

jwong512

Reaction score
It looks like a good way to do a flush without damaging the tranny. I don't have a air hose spray thing so do you think a can of compressed air would be a good equivalent to spray all the tranny fluid down the hose?

YoungxNutkase

Reaction score
i think it would be okay because he did said he used low pressured air to spray into there. i gotta save some money to buy 8 quarts of atf b4 i can start this

finch13

Reaction score
You don't need to meticulously getting all the fluid out of the tranny... you'd have to put that ***** in the parts washer to get it all.

Haven't watched the video, but using air to blow out any part of the tranny sounds horrible. Low pressure is <30psi.

And can compressed air... :lawl:

Back