Axles

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Grease-splosion. Went to change my oil and found this, on both sides. What happened...axle seals gone bad? The hub end of the axle is fine...

Looks like I'll have to take tomorrow off.

Driver side

temporary_zps0b69a045.jpg

temporary_zpsceafb5ef.jpg

Passenger side

temporary_zps74dedceb.jpg

temporary_zps9df50787.jpg

temporary_zps36e79e75.jpg

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
So the axles are alright, and the boot rubber is just old? I think I'll do new boots, if I try to stretch and reclamp they'll probably just split somewhere else later.

If the dealer doesn't have boots in stock, is it alright to drive the car a day or two? I know you don't want to drive like this if it's raining.

I would have to remove the inside axle side to install new boots, it may be a good time to just replace them preventatively. Would you say this vid pretty much covers the process? The axles already come greased?

Last edited:

001Stunna

Reaction score
If you want to be cheap...just change the boots but if dirt and grime got in there it can still cause issues in the future causing you to change the whole unit anyways.

They make split boots that can be done without taking the axle off and they offer a glue to be used to hold the boot together...(how durable it is...not sure)

Personally i'd say just replace them as a unit.

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
I drove around for a year and a half with cv axles because I was too lazy. But when I changed them it was a pita

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I probably will just replace the whole axles, since you have to basically do the same amount of disassembly to replace the inner boot anyway. But I am going to go with the CL-S axles this time since they are a little beefier and fit the same. I'm just a little confused about how the parts are listed though...

In the list it has #4 and #5 as the whole axle assembly for $156.25, but then #6 and #7 which are encompassed in #4/#5, are listed for $272.21. Does an axle not come with the inner joint? Not sure what parts I actually need to buy to just replace my drive axles...

CL6MTAxlesdiagram_zps99fd760a.jpg

CL6MTAxlespartslist_zps0e33df0a.jpg

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Can't see the pictures, but I'd just go to autozone and get their axles and use their lifetime warranty :) That's what I have and if you're slammed and go through axles, then it's the best option ..

Ghost Ryder

Reaction score
I probably will just replace the whole axles, since you have to basically do the same amount of disassembly to replace the inner boot anyway. But I am going to go with the CL-S axles this time since they are a little beefier and fit the same. I'm just a little confused about how the parts are listed though...

In the list it has #4 and #5 as the whole axle assembly for $156.25, but then #6 and #7 which are encompassed in #4/#5, are listed for $272.21. Does an axle not come with the inner joint? Not sure what parts I actually need to buy to just replace my drive axles...

CL6MTAxlesdiagram_zps99fd760a.jpg

CL6MTAxlespartslist_zps0e33df0a.jpg

That whole axle deal sucks Chris. Wise choice on replacing with new axles. As far as the pricing goes, one thing I have seen is a company over price a simple replacement part to push people towards buying it as apart of something else. Probably because it is cheaper for them to produce it as a whole unit, than just a few pieces. At least thats what I assume.

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
If you are not too low, I would recommend Raxles.com.

Call em up and Marty will most likely talk with you, He's a cool guy. Let him now how much of a drop you have and see if he recommends his product.

If you go with a local parts shop, I believe GSP axles(NAPA?) are somewhat better than that Autozone crap.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
If you are not too low, I would recommend Raxles.com.

Call em up and Marty will most likely talk with you, He's a cool guy. Let him now how much of a drop you have and see if he recommends his product.

If you go with a local parts shop, I believe GSP axles(NAPA?) are somewhat better than that Autozone crap.

Is there a lifetime warranty though ? That's the main reason I got the autozone reman axles. I've traded 4 now. About to do a 5th this weekend. There were two that I had that was my fault as to why they blew, but the other 3 were just cuz .. well they're reman axles.

Back