Bad Axle?

kn0x47

Reaction score
So i've got a noise coming from my front passenger side. it isnt a clicking noise, it sounds more like the brake shim rubbing on the rotor (i didnt replace the shim the last time i changed the brake pads) but the sound gets worse or goes away depending on which way i turn the steering wheel.

here's a couple of vids i tried to capture the noise on

and when i pull on the axle along its axis it does have a little bit of play and make some noise.
excuse the rain the in background

so is it the axle? and if it is i'll need to drain the tranny fluid right?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I have the same sound when driving along side a fence or guard rail. I can hear it coming from the passenger side. I do not hear it on the driver side, however.

And I sometimes hear that clunk noise when driving in 1st really slow. I started thinking it might be my axles but this may confirm it...

Last edited:

kevo

Reaction score
I get the same noise somtimes when I go into reverse into drive (a/t) I wish i knew whats going

F23A1AT

Reaction score
I don't think the axle is supposed to have that much play in it. That's wayyyy more than I've ever seen. As for the scrubbing noise, I've heard that as well, both with AT and after my MT swap I still hear it from time to time to this day.

You can either drain the fluid out prior to the job or it'll pour out when the axle comes out.

Last edited:

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
Have you checked the caliper bracket bolts to be the contributer to the noise? Also, I didnt drain the trans fluid on mine to change the axles. Im an a/t though, well for now.

shenaniganz08

Reaction score
that's a crap load of play in your axles

I would lift your front end, put it on jacks, put the ebrake on and then put the car in drive. This will give you a good idea if your axles are in good condition

Currently both my axles appear to be bent as the wheel does not rotate perfectly. There is no play in the joint however.

kn0x47

Reaction score
Well I jacked up the car again and both axles have a little bit of play in them but never hear anything from the drivers side but that could be just because the axle is so much shorter. I did spin the tire by hand and I couldn't reproduce that scrubbing sound.

Have you checked the caliper bracket bolts to be the contributer to the noise? Also, I didnt drain the trans fluid on mine to change the axles. Im an a/t though, well for now.
I checked all the bolts and everything is tight
that's a crap load of play in your axles

I would lift your front end, put it on jacks, put the ebrake on and then put the car in drive. This will give you a good idea if your axles are in good condition

Currently both my axles appear to be bent as the wheel does not rotate perfectly. There is no play in the joint however.
What would I be looking for exactly? Just if the wheel is rotating off axis?

Sleeper Cell

No more CG Squad!!!
Reaction score
I don't have sound on my work computer but I'm guessing it's the axle. My passenger side axle clicks like crazy and I'm assuming it's because I've had my car lowered now for about six or seven years lol.

kn0x47

Reaction score
I don't have sound on my work computer but I'm guessing it's the axle. My passenger side axle clicks like crazy and I'm assuming it's because I've had my car lowered now for about six or seven years lol.

yeah that's what im guessing too. i just think its odd sense its not an actual clicking noise

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
My GF's car would make a metal on metal grind noise. I checked the brakes and they were fine. It ended up being a fried half shaft bearing. Just a thought.

Back