best bang for your buck: coilovers vs Springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nismode

Reaction score
AMR is just too much for what I wanna spend at the moment. So F2's from what I've heard and seen on other's cars are what I'm gonna go with first. If I'm not happy, so be it.

We'll see how things go money wise.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
I prefer more performance at the expense of a less comfortable ride. I would never buy a set of Teins or F2's (I have also heard not so great things about them). I WOULD buy a set of AMR's, D2's or Ksports.

When I do my next suspension upgrade I'm probably just going to upgrade my struts from my HP's to a set of Neuspeed/Koni yellows. I'm happy with the ride height of my car and don't see a need to swap out my whole setup. Give me dampening adjustability and I'm good. I <3 my H&R's.

Last edited:

turbocayenne

Reaction score
Whats wrong with Tein? They are constructed very well, they are gas filled. They give nice performance and a nice comfortable ride. They dont necessarily go super low, but its enough for me. If I was building a track car, I wouldnt use teins, otherwise they are great for the street.

They are constructed very well. I have no doubt for it, but for the price of Tein SS, I'd prefer AMR.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
i have finally gathered enough money to get myself a decent pair of springs or coilover. i like the coilovers because the are adjustable but they seem a little weak compared to the springs. i was also thinking of buying springs but the springs do give you that boat look that i hate.
i was looking at some coilovers and which brand would be good but not to expensive. more bang for my buck
looking @ Tein ss coilovers 1,400
Megan racing street coilovers:$900
tein basic coilovers:$860
k sport pro $890
leaning toward coilovers. which would somee of you prefer
my budget about 1000 should i wait i go top notch with Tein ss coilover

lol, top notch and tein in the same sentence. i havent laughed this hard all week :rofl:

theres nothing really bad with teins, but they dont go as low as most people want them to, and with ss's if you go low enough, theyll clunk...apparently. theyre usually really soft too, well a lot softer than most. theyre more for people who just heard of the name, and see that other people have unfortunately heard of the name as well, and just buy them because of that. sure people buy them, sure they like them, but theyre more of a coilover for people who just want coils and basically, as soft as they come. a lot of people in the car scene usually dont know **** about **** and want to lower their car but still have oem ride....if there was a suspension like that, it would be horrible....teins are almost like that though :lawl:

basically, youd just be paying for a name with tein. you should contact amr and see if you can get in on the group buy that was going on recently. andy, the owner, said he was going to close it this week, but maybe you can get on there last minute. that thread should be at the very bottom of the forum, in the group buy subforum, at the bottom of the main forum page. if you cant, ksports are good full coilover, ive got tham and like them alot, though theyre stiff, so if thats not what you want...at all...then dont get them. even if you still want coilovers, ground controls and some decent shocks, like tokico illuminas or konis would be a good set up as well.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
I have had Tein SS on my car for several years. I actually have enjoyed them a lot, I think they do pretty great for performance while still riding comfortably, and most importantly, they have held up very well. I have never done auto-cross or anything, but there have been several times that I have enjoyed the mountain roads in the area well above the posted speed limits.

All that said, if I was buying again today I would purchase AMR coilovers. The main reason for that would be because the springs are preloaded and stay that way. With the Teins, you adjust the spring perches to adjust the ride height. When you try and drop too low on the Teins (which honestly still isn't that low relatively speaking), it's caused the springs to bind and make annoying popping noises in my experience. Height adjustment on AMR's last I looked at them (unless I'm confused) has nothing to do with the spring perches and isn't going to affect the springrate or cause binding when you raise/lower your car.

Sleeper Cell

No more CG Squad!!!
Reaction score
I love it when you guys rag on Tein... The only things I've heard so far from you guys that's "bad" about them is that they built a name for themself, they are comfortable, and they won't put your tires into your fender liner. Booooooo!

Like I said earlier, they're steel which is ****ing nice for suspension. It's very durable. As a Tein owner I will say that they have held up very well over the years considering that they're five years old. I would never recommend many of the Taiwanese brands... Oh you guys forgot to mention to the OP about Ksport's crappy seals and they're crappy valving. I will say though, they do give off a nice orange hue. That's pretty much what they're good for...

I've had at least four friends in the last two years that have had to replace multiple shocks from X-Taiwan brand's coilovers. I'm so glad my Tein's haven't had that problem and that I managed to get my tires flush with the fenders, and that my car looks good while still being comfy. However, like I said, the AMRs would be a better alternative due to their warranty and customer service, along with their build quality. I bought my SS's when they were 1,000 dollars, so now things are different. If I could though I would upgrade to the AMRs. Eventually I will.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
I would never recommend many of the Taiwanese brands... Oh you guys forgot to mention to the OP about Ksport's crappy seals and they're crappy valving. I will say though, they do give off a nice orange hue. That's pretty much what they're good for...

lol, as a ksport owner, i can say that their "crappy seals and their crappy valving" have held up quite fine, and have rode just as well for the past year and a half+ that ive had them on my car. i like a stiff suspension...its all personal preference anyway. the op wont really ever know what hes going to like until he makes up his mind, buys something, and uses it.

teins design is old, and outdated. thats why people are pretty much buying a name these days. sure the construction is good, but the way theyre adjusted and such is just old. id have more respect for them if they would update their **** to adjust with a bottom mount and have a permanently preloaded spring, but i doubt thatll ever happen. theres also better suspensions than tein out there....its just unfortunate that theyre not really made for our cars.

Last edited:

Sleeper Cell

No more CG Squad!!!
Reaction score
Tell me that when they've lasted as long as my Teins have. You've barely gotten past your warranty. :)

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
i wont have them that long, so i wont be able to.

also, i know theyre not the best thing out there, but i honestly dont have any complaints about my ksports. theyre exactly what i expected them to be for the price i paid, nothing more or less. when i do decide to swap them out, itll be for either air or amr's though. i just have to make up my mind if i wanna drag my car on the highway or be at static height haha.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back