DIY cold air intake, CAI (PICS & Video!)

calgaryaccord

Reaction score
Just did this one. It worked awesome. When I did mine, I cut the hole in the bottom of the airbox, but I also cut out a bunch of the sheet metal under it. Because even if you cut the bottom of the plastic out, there is a fair bit of sheet metal blocking the hole. I cut that out and touched up the edges with paint. Not sure if that part made much of a difference, but overall it's a great improvement.

I used the TAS Pro hybrid intake with the K&N filter and new tube. I had a really hard time getting the new pipe to line up properly and it's still sorta wedged in there. Maybe I have it at the wrong angle or something.

Great instructions. Awesome DIY.

whatsvtec

Reaction score
great diy worked out just perfect other then i did 2 clamps 1 zip tie and a lot of duck tape to connect intake pipe thing and air box. now if only that was as easy as taking of bumper...such a hastle

calgaryaccord

Reaction score
I definitely did not feel like taking off the entire bumper to do this, so I took off the splash guard in the wheel well to do it...whole job, including cutting a bigger hole in the air box took about half an hour. I think taking the bumper off might be the long way around.

Having said that, I did have some trouble with the clips holding the splash shield on...until I found these tools. I found them in a place up here in Canada called Princess Auto (stupid name, I know). Any auto parts place should have them. Trying to get those damn clips out with a screwdriver almost guarantees that a couple of them will break. Find these tools before you try this DIY, it will make it 10X easier.

img0163.jpg

By smithcdr

Last edited:

whatsvtec

Reaction score
haha i wish i knew about those tools earlier. i used needle noise pliers and a lighter(if they didn't wanna cooperate burned them off and replaced them)

xluben

Reaction score
Yeah, I destroyed quite a few of mine. I bought a new pack, but I never installed most of them because I took the bumper off so many times back then. I suppose I could install them now...

2kaccord

Reaction score
quick question and it might be stupid, but i just have to ask haha..is it necessary to reset your ECU after doing this mod?

calgaryaccord

Reaction score
No.

I guess I should probably elaborate a bit. The ECU (more specifically, the fuel injection program), will automatically inject more fuel if there is more incoming air (this is why a modified intake increases horsepower - more air = more fuel = more power). There is no need to reset it after doing a minor mod like this one. However, it's not a bad idea to reset your ECU once in a while anyways - I never do it because I end up losing all the settings on my stereo, but I definitely did not need to do it after this mod.

Last edited:

dtraill27

Reaction score
i just did this mod. pretty simple. anyone notice changes in gas mileage after doing ti. better or worse? if its worse for me ill put it back in because it doesnt sound different till 4k and i normally am not flooring it lol

iDriftYou

Reaction score
Matt did this mod for me, car sounds sick. I'm going to get a ticket watch. Sounds normal for everyday driving, but when you step on it, downshift, this growl sound just makes me jizz my pants. :jerkit:

Back