DIY: NRG Short Hub / Quick Release / Steering wheel ( 56k = Take a dump first! )

NashvegasCG

Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, but will this affect the passenger airbag at all? I'm not a mechanic, so I wasn't sure if the airbags were controlled individually or together. Also...is it possible to turn off the SRS light after modding this?

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Won't affect any other airbag except the driver's.

I think I read somewhere about the SRS light, but don't recall, so I won't speculate.

Namboyz

Reaction score
i like the idea=) would getting a detachble steering wheel be better than getting an alarm?

CHID0

Reaction score
Only if you get the hub lock cause otherwise i, or anyone else with a widely available NRG quick release can just throw their wheel on and proceed to steel your car....:poke:

1998accordsirt

Reaction score
This was a great writeup but one thing that I noticed was the lack of a steering wheel puller. It is possible to remove the wheel in the fashion that you did (by banging on it) but it is extremely risky since you run the risk of collapsing the steering column when you bang on it.

Just a thought, great writeup though.

MrLazie1

Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, but will this affect the passenger airbag at all? I'm not a mechanic, so I wasn't sure if the airbags were controlled individually or together. Also...is it possible to turn off the SRS light after modding this?
no you will not be able to turn off the srs light. i already tried to clear it out and it would not clear cause there is not srs module on the driver side steering wheel. hope that answer your question.
Only if you get the hub lock cause otherwise i, or anyone else with a widely available NRG quick release can just throw their wheel on and proceed to steel your car....:poke:

you can still take the car with the hub lock. get a monkey wrench and get it on tight or any clamp and put it on the lock and still drive it like a video game.

CHID0

Reaction score
Got the horn working and SRS light is off, I'll throw together a DIY for it as soon as i can

CHID0

Reaction score
to get the SRS light off and the horn to work i followed these tutorials off H-T

Horn1
Horn2 Better but kinda noisy if the clip is too firm

SRS then you'll need to do the srs reset, there's a DIY on this site

my srs:
photo-5.jpg

gotta replace the resistor now though i think it burned out. Same thing happened to a few other people, so be aware that you may have to replace the resistor every few months.....

Bad pic of my paperclip horn fix
photo-6.jpg

After a few weeks i swapped the paperclip for a 16awg wire which made the scraping of the paperclip to the back of the QR nearly disappear.

lakersgo

Reaction score
Hi folks, I have a somewhat related question to this thread, please do help if you have any insight.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Tef6AGVgfbFmXW5Tw0JjHQ?feat=directlink

What I am trying to do is to kill the rattling in my steering wheel. I took off the steering wheel and examine any loose screw. But when I grabbed the end (of the shaft) and shook, I noticed a bit of play on the shaft inside the steering column. The column itself is completely stable, it's just the inner shaft. I wonder if this is normal to everyone? I suspect this is where the rattling comes from on my steering wheel.

Last edited:
Back