DIY Oxygen sensors

finch13

Reaction score
1. Spray threads with PB Blaster/JB80/other penetrating oil. Let sit.
2. Unplug O2 sensor wire harness
3. Use big (18mm?) wrench or oxygen sensor socket and remove sensor.
4. Installation is reverse of removal, sans penetrating oil. Do not use anti-seize on the threads.

Last edited:

avio07

Reaction score
So there is no need to torque the O2 sensors, or apply any anti seize on the threads at all?

001Stunna

Reaction score
So there is no need to torque the O2 sensors, or apply any anti seize on the threads at all?

When i changed my sensors with denso first time fit, the instructions said to put the included grease on the threads. I put a bit of it on and torqued to 33 ft.lb. I beleive if doing it by hand people suggest tighten by hand and then 1/8 turn more.

finch13

Reaction score
I say don't use anti-seize because most people gob it on and then it get onto the sensor and fouls it.

9450erick

Reaction score
arent there 2 oxgen sensors
the primary 1 nd the 1 that goes on the header
i have a cell on that but i have a 02 sensor on the header
how do i get rid of that cell. thought it would be the primary 1 but dont know where its located

finch13

Reaction score
There are 2:

Primary: located in the exhaust manifold, monitors air/fuel ratios, changes mixture accordingly. If this one is bad you'll get some driveability problems, low MPG, etc.

Secondary: located in the cat or after the cat, monitors catalytic function. If this one fails, you get a P0420 CEL. Replace the cat or spend $10 and make the non-fouler. DIY is on here.

Back