DIY Oxygen sensors

avio07

Reaction score
Damn it's hard to reach the wires? And how do I put a socket in there with the wire running? Any recommendation for spray to use to loosen it up?

swollen_cu

Reaction score
Damn it's hard to reach the wires? And how do I put a socket in there with the wire running? Any recommendation for spray to use to loosen it up?

Well they make special )2 sensor sockets, but there's no need for them really.. Just use a 22mm or 7/8 wrench and get it off. If you can, unplug the wires first and slide the wire in between the closed end of the wrench and slip the wrench over the O2 sensor.

Also, use some kind of penetrating oil (WD-40 or something).

idriveanaccord

Reaction score
Well they make special )2 sensor sockets, but there's no need for them really.. Just use a 22mm or 7/8 wrench and get it off. If you can, unplug the wires first and slide the wire in between the closed end of the wrench and slip the wrench over the O2 sensor.

Also, use some kind of penetrating oil (WD-40 or something).

wd40 killed my o2 sensor just a warning

cl206

Reaction score
Run the car for a few minutes to get them warmed up a bit. Heat causes the threads to expand. Then use some PB blaster. The cooling effect will hopefully suck some penetrant into the threads. Autozone sells PB B.

Also Autozone loans the crow foot wrench for free that you can use.
I also agree with taking the wire plugs off first but be careful of the hot areas.
Also, if you are removing the secondary sensor, a regular wrench won't work because of the heat shield.

come on, you can do it!

Last edited:
Back