DIY Throttle Body Bypass

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
just because you stopped the coolant from going through your throttle body, doesnt mean youll get better throttle response. theres nothing in doing this that would warrant such a result. its really all in your head.​

1slosedan

Reaction score
just because you stopped the coolant from going through your throttle body, doesnt mean youll get better throttle response. theres nothing in doing this that would warrant such a result. its really all in your head.​

Yep, I was thinking the saaaame thing. I did do this today though, maybe a tad bit of difference. I figured why not get a few hp/tq for a few bucks. I am going to clean up this install a bit. If you just buy a new coolant line and run one solid hose it would be aloott cleaner vs connecting the two.. With that and eliminating the extra vacuum hoses and capping them. I will do what I am talking about, and put pics in this thread.

nichols94

Banned
Reaction score
Ok so I just did this on 4 cyl 01 coupe and for anyone having trouble basically I got the 5/16's from lowes cuz home depot sucks the clamps any hardware store and the caps at autozone, I recommend using a pair of needle noses to take off the hoses. And for anyone wondering if it is worth it, it really is the HP gain isn't really noticeable, but the throttle response is way better, as well as when u have the a/c on. any lemme know ill help. cheers

runumhard808

Reaction score
^^ X2 i just did it 5 min ago... and i noticed it has a better throttle response...good write up...:D

intel0116

Reaction score
interesting. are you sure you did this mod correctly and it did not ever happen before and only after?

Nope, before this mod ive never had this problem, or any other for that matter, like i said i dont know if this mod is to blame but it dident happen till after, oh yeah. I also had to replace my raditator cap, the bottom part of it broke off, again dont know if this mod is to blame but it also dident happen till after lol...... anyone else have these issues or simmilar ones after doing this mod to the j30?

1slosedan

Reaction score
Nope, before this mod ive never had this problem, or any other for that matter, like i said i dont know if this mod is to blame but it dident happen till after, oh yeah. I also had to replace my raditator cap, the bottom part of it broke off, again dont know if this mod is to blame but it also dident happen till after lol...... anyone else have these issues or simmilar ones after doing this mod to the j30?

No, nothing at all. I have had it for a couple weeks now. You probably just did it, and by coincidence your car messed up.

Ghost Ryder

Reaction score
:thumbup:I just did this mod yesterday. Night and day difference in throttle. Nothing to brag about, but it seems to have been worth while.
However!!!! The correct line size is 5/16", or .3125". I discovered this when the trying to use the suggested 1/4" barb hose connector. Wich jiggled loosely in both lines. Just to be sure that the hose wasn't just stretched from being on there so long, I used a micrometer to check the metal hose connections on the motor.
Other than that, it was pretty simple.

P.S. My set up is on my 99 av6 coupe. Cold air intake is also thermal wrapped, and pulls from an aluminum boxed, heat shielded frilter. Passing through an OBX TBI spacer.

J30MAN

Reaction score
I did this mod a few weeks ago and haven't noticed any power increase. But it was cheap and fun to work under the hood.

Back