Engine Replacement, ULEV question

studweiser83

Reaction score
My original motor has 130,000 miles on it and it appeared to have blown a headgasket, so I repaired it accordingly. After removing the head, it was checked and ended up being warped. The head was taken to a machine shop where they milled off 10/1000th's (yea it was kinda bad) and cleaned and polished the valves and replaced the gaskets. For all the work, I paid a grand total of $325, which is why I'm so inclined to keep the reworked head.

Now after replacing the headgakset (among other things) and putting the motor back together, the car is now a milkshake machine on wheels. There is some place where a mass amount of coolant is mixing with the oil and it's somewhere in the block. There are no external leaks, the head was vaccum tested, the headgasket is perfect, there is no fluid on the spark plugs and no white smoke coming out of the exhaust (symptoms of headgasket failure) and a full radiator damn near runs out of coolant in about twenty minutes of driving. The coolant system was pressure tested and there was a slight leak, but I can almost guarantee it's something internal to the motor. It's been suggested that the ULEV F23's suffer from porous block which is a manufacturing defect from honda. Check it out, it's hard to find any info about it, the new Civic's suffer from the same problem. Or my block could just be completely jacked.

So I called around some junk yards and found 2 places selling F23's from EX's for $500, one with 86,000 and the other with 87,000 miles, both are short blocks. My buddy's shop found one for $850 with 80,000, but that's from a dealer so I'm kinda hesitant about the price.

And x5carl3tMurd3rx I was just pissed off that you called my question stupid. I thought it was a pretty valid concern.

And I only asked the tranny question because the junkyards specify whether their motors come from Autos or Manuals and it kinda threw me off, but yea I guess that is a gimmie isn't it? :dumb:

XxESKIMOxX

Reaction score
its the part where you added stupid question that made you look like an ***. its more for fyi so dont need to fight. if you took that off everything would of been alright. and lol for milkshake machine on wheels thats a first for me. but good luck solving your problem.

Back