Losing oil????

f23accord2000

Reaction score
yeah i see lots of honda come into my work burning oil and all i do is oil changes all day, i used a bottle of lucas oil treatment in my old 91 accord car never burned oil after, my 00 accord 4cyl car now has 125k and never burns a drop of oil, and after 3k miles and go to drain it ,it looks like i just did the oil change i use full synthetic in it ,so use lucas oil treatment and some high mileage oil should be good for now, but also check the valve cover in the back near the injectors i see a lot of oil leaks on hondas that leak from the back or the valve cover

Last edited:

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
^^^^Depending upon why the oil is burning, Lucas oil stabilizer may or may not work.
All it does is recondition the internal seals. However if the seal(s) s are badly worn, the oil stabilizer will burn off like normal oil. Just not as quickly

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
WOW, and I thought I was crazy or something...
it must have changed in 01
because on my 2K EX it said 5w30.
Not sure why it would change if they're using the exact same motor between 98-02

They probably did it to cater to the newer engine designs that may perform better under 5w20. In 2001, the new civics came out and I think some other cars did as well.

You can use whatever oil you want, even the cheap crap. Just make sure you change it every 3,000 miles and your good.

The more expensive stuff like OEM honda or other synthetics will allow you a lot more time in between oil changes.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
They probably did it to cater to the newer engine designs that may perform better under 5w20. In 2001.

Yeah, but the new design wasnt available for the 6th gen accords. It started with the 7th gen (03-08) with the 2.4L 4 banger

All the 6ths gen 4 bangers have a 2.3L

MrLazie1

Reaction score
i think 5w30 should be good for your car. and maybe check how old the oil is. check the api also along with the SAE

cajun

Reaction score
Yeah, but the new design wasnt available for the 6th gen accords. It started with the 7th gen (03-08) with the 2.4L 4 banger

All the 6ths gen 4 bangers have a 2.3L

Yup. From what I've read Honda made the switch for fuel economy. The thinner 5W20 should give you slightly better MPG's (vs. 5W30).

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Personally.
I always though 5w20 and 5w30 was too light of a motor oil for our cars.
After a year of owning my car, I switched to 10w30 for better protection

cajun

Reaction score
Personally.
I always though 5w20 and 5w30 was too light of a motor oil for our cars.

You're not the only one. I've read some heated debates on other sites about whether 5W20 offers enough protection for Honda engines.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
You're not the only one. I've read some heated debates on other sites about whether 5W20 offers enough protection for Honda engines.

I hate to undermine peoples knowledge on here about oil viscosity. But to be honest, Honda engineers are way more educated than anyone on this site. They have been building some of the most reliable engines in the world for years and if they choose 5w20 for their OEM oil, I'm going to go with it. If your burning a lot of oil, yah go with something thicker. Otherwise, I think it's safe to stick with what Honda recommends. I don't see why there would even be any heated debates. Honda engineers>Us

cajun

Reaction score
... if they choose 5w20 for their OEM oil, I'm going to go with it. Otherwise, I think it's safe to stick with what Honda recommends. I don't see why there would even be any heated debates. Honda engineers>Us

Agree, which is why I've stuck with 5w20 since new. You don't see why there would be heated debates? Simple - b/c people love to argue, especially on forums. :talk-punch:

Back