Losing oil????

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
I hate to undermine peoples knowledge on here about oil viscosity. But to be honest, Honda engineers are way more educated than anyone on this site. They have been building some of the most reliable engines in the world for years and if they choose 5w20 for their OEM oil, I'm going to go with it. If your burning a lot of oil, yah go with something thicker. Otherwise, I think it's safe to stick with what Honda recommends. I don't see why there would even be any heated debates. Honda engineers>Us

True and that's a very valid point.

But take into consideration, Honda engineers, only specialize on the items they manufacture and for (get ready for this) STOCK condition
Also, oil manufactures have engineers manufacturing products to exceed car manufactures requirements.
Also take into consideration high mile vehicles.
At a certain point in time you have to go beyond a manufacture recommendation

twofast4u

Reaction score
hey, sorry to bring a thread back from the dead, I think this might be related, but I'm kind of curious about oil burning. My 02 accord 4cyl is burning oil, there's no smoke or anything. but there is smoke coming out of the oil cap when i open it after it runs for a bit. Also, my engine sounds kind of loud when its cold...almost diesel like...My real question is, do i have to "change my oil" even though my engine is burning it? I usually just keep on adding.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
hey, sorry to bring a thread back from the dead, I think this might be related, but I'm kind of curious about oil burning. My 02 accord 4cyl is burning oil, there's no smoke or anything. but there is smoke coming out of the oil cap when i open it after it runs for a bit. Also, my engine sounds kind of loud when its cold...almost diesel like...My real question is, do i have to "change my oil" even though my engine is burning it? I usually just keep on adding.

Well, as stated there are three (3) reasons why you may be low on oil

1) you have an oil leak

2) it's being mixed with your coolant from the result of a bad head gasket
3)
oil is being consumed & burned internally from the result of a blown/bad piston ring seal.

Dont worry about the steam coming out of the crankcase when you remove the oil cap. That's normal.
Normally, Honda 4 bangers will make a slight tapping sound when the car is first started in the winter. Remember, at first start up the oil is in the oil pan. Give it a few minutes to get up into the engine and the tapping sound should go away. As an option you can change to a thicker oil or add some STP oil treatment during winter months

Your main concern is to find out if & how you're burning oil.
To check for leaks is simple, park you car overnight, move it the next morning and see if there's oil there

to check for a bad headgasket, when the car is running check for white smoke. Also check the coolant too see if it's brown and slimey looking.

If all of the above are fine, and you're still losing oil, then more than likely it's being consumed internally from teh result of a bad piston ring gasket.
If this is the case, best to replace the entire motor rather than pull apart the head & block and related parts to replace a piston ring seal

Good Luck

Last edited:

jonblizz

Reaction score
I have this same problem , took it t o the stealership to remedy it cus i had the check engine light too. Said i was just low on oil. I said well is that normal. They said its normal to burn 1 quart every 1500 miles......Didnt sound right to me took it to another stealership they said the same thing. I was told by a friend that is a Nissan mechanic that its not normal , he blamed me for my erratic acceleration tactics...VTECH BEEEYOTCH!!!
The fumes from burning oil is responsible for killing my Catalytic converter. So just from my personal experience if you dont handle it is your CEL light will eventually kick out 2 codes one for low oil volume the other for the cat!!!!!
i figure honda stealerships dont wanna fix whats internally wrong with the engine or they know u not gonna pay them mad $$$$$ to fix something or replace the engine so they tell you its normal especially when u got high mileage!!!! I just carry an extra bottle of oil in the car and get oil changes every 2.5 - 2.7 k instead of 3500k!
Eventually tho that Cat code is gonna get you .
The stealership wants about 1k to fix it but u will have to replace it again in 2-3 more years if you dont get the engine to stop burning oil!!!

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Remember though.
When vtec is engaged a little more oil can be consumed because the vtec selonoid is engaged by rpm's load, and oil pressure. Especially at high rpm's
So if your tach is constantly north of 4000 RPM's, some oil can be consumed

twofast4u

Reaction score
Well, as stated there are three (3) reasons why you may be low on oil

1) you have an oil leak

2) it's being mixed with your coolant from the result of a bad head gasket
3)
oil is being consumed & burned internally from the result of a blown/bad piston ring seal.

Dont worry about the steam coming out of the crankcase when you remove the oil cap. That's normal.
Normally, Honda 4 bangers will make a slight tapping sound when the car is first started in the winter. Remember, at first start up the oil is in the oil pan. Give it a few minutes to get up into the engine and the tapping sound should go away. As an option you can change to a thicker oil or add some STP oil treatment during winter months

Your main concern is to find out if & how you're burning oil.
To check for leaks is simple, park you car overnight, move it the next morning and see if there's oil there

to check for a bad headgasket, when the car is running check for white smoke. Also check the coolant too see if it's brown and slimey looking.

If all of the above are fine, and you're still losing oil, then more than likely it's being consumed internally from teh result of a bad piston ring gasket.
If this is the case, best to replace the entire motor rather than pull apart the head & block and related parts to replace a piston ring seal

Good Luck

Thanks for the advice blacknight. I know I'm not leaking because I park in the same spot everyday, and theres no smoke coming out of the tail pipe, although at the very tip of my muffler i can see it being a little black.

Oh and the diesel like sound from my engine happens all the time, not only when its cold.

I'm assuming with all these symptoms its the piston ring seal...which means f23 engine swap! :) Cant really afford an obd2 H22 also I'll have the ECU immobilizer problem :( So i'll be just putting in a JDM f23...

Thanks for your help blacknight!

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
As far as the tapping is concerned, the valves can be adjusted at a stealer (uh) dealership
Or try the STP oil treatment, it comes in a blue bottle or red bottle (red for higher mile vehicles)

Get another oil change, but this time really monitor how you drive and check the oil level every week or so.
If there's no white smoke, and no oil leakes but you're still coming up low on oil, then it's being burned internally
If this is the case, you can try a piston ring conditioner called Rinslone or something. it comes is a black container and is made to recondition ring seals. That's if the seals aren't too far gone

If this doesnt help, the go with the swap...

Good Luck

Last edited:

twofast4u

Reaction score
wicked. I'll check out parts source/canadian tire for the STP oil treatment. I already did the valve adjustment so those are good, but its still pretty loud. Hopefully the STP helps.

Would it be okay if I do the oil change first, then add STP and if its still burning a week later then add the rinestone?

Its been burning oil for about 1 year and a half...so the rings could be gone...

Thanks

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Yeah.
you can do the oil change. But use 10w30 which is a little heavier than what the factory recommends (5W30)
Then use the STP oil treatment & Rinslone

Last edited:
Back