Oil Recommendations

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
i'm a big fan of mobil 1, you don't need any super syn crap like royal purple, stick with what works for your ride.

the honest answer though is non-existant on these forums. to find the best oil for your car you'd have to run every oil you could buy and dyno the results each time (laboratory style) to find out. IMO any full syn will get the job done for a DD

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
x2. Most synth oils don't have a few minerals that dino oil has to make the seals swell and can actually shrink your seals and cause leaks.

the main job of syn oil over dino oil is to fill every possible crevice in your engine (seals, block, bearings, etc) to ensure that they stay lubricated and don't cause leaks

where do you get your information from anyhow?

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
you do know that the minerals dino oil has are the main reason its so unreliable, chemicals that don't get refined out, that cause problems at low and high temps, that leave deposits, tear up your engine, etc?

if those are the minerals you're talking about i'll keep with synthetic and keep my baby running longer :p

finch13

Reaction score
the main job of syn oil over dino oil is to fill every possible crevice in your engine (seals, block, bearings, etc) to ensure that they stay lubricated and don't cause leaks

where do you get your information from anyhow?

Mostly HAF and Bob Is The Oil Guy.... researched a little further, apparently synth oils have had those additives since the 70's... so no worries I guess. I've just read countless stories about people switching to synth on older engines and springing leaks at most of the seals.

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
maybe its just me but i thought the consensus was that RP is a waste of money and dino oil just wrecks your engine

syn = win

finch13

Reaction score
maybe its just me but i thought the consensus was that RP is a waste of money and dino oil just wrecks your engine

syn = win

I agree. Although, I do believe dino oil is okay, it just doesn't protect as well.

RP is a waste of money unless you race your car. Correct me if I'm wrong, but RP uses graphite as a lubricant and isn't good for a DD because it leaves deposits.

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
dino oil is okay

RP uses graphite to restructure and smooth out irregularities/wear&tear, its good for cars that are pushing limits but i cant see why you'd need all of that for a DD

Back