Painting my Accord (Updated 1/31/09) Balloon white

AccordFlex

Reaction score
Re: Need opinions on white paint

I actually forgot to mention what else I wanted to do with the car. I was planning on painting the roof, mirrors and hood a matching pearl black. Same thing different color. Want a subtle pearl, but still keep the black color.

What the painter told me was you can actually mix in some of the exact pearl you use for your primary base color into the black so that they will have the same type of affect.

My windows are tinted 20% for the primary reason of my competition stereo project that is underway as well. That way its harder to see the sub wall behind my front seats.

Rim wise, im still rolling on the 7 spoke 4cl stock wheels with a 2.5 inch drop. For future rims, i want to do a somewhat deep dish in the rear (I know I know its a FWD car, but I dont care, it looks sick when done properly) Colors I would like to do a matching black lip to the black pearl on the car and the center of the rim a matching pearl white. Rims choice, I was thinking of doing some Rota D2s. I would like some SSR Professors, but god dang they are espensiveeee.

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score

So you'll actually be using BASF Glasurit materials, or something cheaper? Balloon White's basecoat is basically pure white, and the pearl isn't creamy either. Morning Frost White is bright white with bright white pearl, it looks amazing in person. Another idea (since you work at a body shop) is to mix & match various whites. A local guy here in FL mixed Balloon White's basecoat with Lexus' Glacier Frost Mica's midcoat in order to achieve a very very bright white...check it out:
CIMG0475.jpg

http://my.is/forums/f90/custom-pain...-glacier-mica-frost-5-6-k-w-r-n-i-n-g-375442/

AccordFlex

Reaction score

So you'll actually be using BASF Glasurit materials, or something cheaper? Balloon White's basecoat is basically pure white, and the pearl isn't creamy either. Morning Frost White is bright white with bright white pearl, it looks amazing in person. Another idea (since you work at a body shop) is to mix & match various whites. A local guy here in FL mixed Balloon White's basecoat with Lexus' Glacier Frost Mica's midcoat in order to achieve a very very bright white...check it out:
CIMG0475.jpg

http://my.is/forums/f90/custom-pain...-glacier-mica-frost-5-6-k-w-r-n-i-n-g-375442/

We use the best commercial materials available. A normal full paintjob for a car would most likely be in the 4,000$ range at our shop and comes with a lifetime warranty. I will be using the BASF Glasurit paint. I can use whatever I want and whatever amount I need. I can even paint my rims if I wanted to which would be included in the 200$.

But wow, that color on the Lexus is sick. Do you by chance have any more info on that paint color that he mixed up? I am really really really interested lol

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score

The link to the owner's thread is just underneath the picture, click on the link & you can read all of the information he shared about it.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

Dang I have to say I'm jealous, I'd love to get a new paint job. I never cared for white until I started seeing a lot of these pearl type paints, they really look great, especially at night when reflecting ambient light.

LX_F23A1

Reaction score

Not bad. I like your taste in colors.

I dont know much about automotive paint, but cant you mix base coats? So that you can get something you want?

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score

Not bad. I like your taste in colors.

I dont know much about automotive paint, but cant you mix base coats? So that you can get something you want?

Of course you can mix basecoats, midcoats, clearcoats, sealers, primers, anything...

It's easier to copy an OEM paint formula though in case you need to have something resprayed later on...less of a headache compared to a one-off custom mix that's nearly impossible to perfectly duplicate.

AccordFlex

Reaction score

Of course you can mix basecoats, midcoats, clearcoats, sealers, primers, anything...

It's easier to copy an OEM paint formula though in case you need to have something resprayed later on...less of a headache compared to a one-off custom mix that's nearly impossible to perfectly duplicate.

This is exactly why im somewhat hesitant when it comes to making my own blended color. This car is my daily so there is that chance it could need a new panel or bumper or something later down the road.

LX_F23A1

Reaction score

lol too bad Home Depot doesn't sell automotive paint. Because all you would have to do is give them a ticket with a code for the custom color (sincetheir little machines mix pigments on a base white), and just get the same thing over and over lol:hihi:

Back