Painting my Accord (Updated 1/31/09) Balloon white

aznfunkyflip

Reaction score
Re: Need opinions on white paint

So you'll actually be using BASF Glasurit materials, or something cheaper? Balloon White's basecoat is basically pure white, and the pearl isn't creamy either. Morning Frost White is bright white with bright white pearl, it looks amazing in person. Another idea (since you work at a body shop) is to mix & match various whites. A local guy here in FL mixed Balloon White's basecoat with Lexus' Glacier Frost Mica's midcoat in order to achieve a very very bright white...check it out:
CIMG0475.jpg

http://my.is/forums/f90/custom-pain...-glacier-mica-frost-5-6-k-w-r-n-i-n-g-375442/

man ... that would be PITA to color matched.

AccordFlex

Reaction score

Ok, so Im pretty sure its official. Im going to be going with the Balloon White paint color. I love how bright it is, but here is the catch. There is actually two ways to paint this.

First way is the white base coat then a high gloss clear coat.
Second way is the same white base coat but instead of a high gloss clear coat, you use a satin clear coat which actually gives the pearl paint a somewhat matte/flat tone to it. Its in between matte/flat and high gloss. Im really digging both of them in their own ways, but im more attracted to the satin clear coat because of how unique it is.

Here are examples of each...

Choice 1: High gloss clear coat

210022-640.jpg

Choice 2: Satin clear coat

lamborghini-gallardo-lp5604-matt-white1.jpg

Some detailed pictures of the satin clear coat on a G35

Adon-G35-01.jpg

Adon-G35-02.jpg

Adon-G35-03.jpg

Adon-G35-04.jpg

Adon-G35-05.jpg

Adon-G35-07.jpg

Adon-G35-08.jpg

Skyline.jpg

Skyline2.jpg

AccordFlex

Reaction score

But yet I like how pearly the high gloss is lol. Im so stuck between colors!! Please give me your input

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score

You can do the satin clearcoat with any color, it's just not common...and there's a reason for it. The satin clearcoat will be a pain in the *** to maintain, but it's your call. I'm familiar with Adon (the owner of that G35), and his car is strictly a showcar. If your car will be more of a daily driver & not a true showcar, then you need to research satin clearcoats a bit more to learn how fragile they are.

Here's what a friend of mine sent me when I asked him about that exact paintjob (ignore the horrible grammar):

"A couple things to remind yourself and your painter,the surface will need to be perfect or it will show every flaw,the clear cannot be wet sanded after to remove trash/orange peal or it will shine.If you get a scratch down the road,sorry no buffing it out.And if you wax the matte clear alot it will start to shine.IMO it's not a paint for a DD,for a garage queen,no problem,but for a car/truck that see's all the elements,imo,is a waste of time and money."

I'd recommend just the typical gloss clearcoat for Balloon White. It's an extraordinary color.

AccordFlex

Reaction score

Wow thank you so much for that info on the satin gloss. I honestly had no idea about the maintenance behind it.

Looks like high gloss balloon white it is! Once the car is painted, ill post up some pictures of course to show how it turns out on the accord.

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score

Awesome, can't wait to see the finished product. BASF Glasurit is an amazing product, you're blessed to have access to it for such a ridiculously low price. The body shop doing my work was quoted about $4500 for Glasurit materials for my Lambo paintjob.

AccordFlex

Reaction score

Awesome, can't wait to see the finished product. BASF Glasurit is an amazing product, you're blessed to have access to it for such a ridiculously low price. The body shop doing my work was quoted about $4500 for Glasurit materials for my Lambo paintjob.

Yea thats about right for an all over 3 stage paintjob here at my work too. We actually just looked up the paint on the mixing computer and its a base white, then its a clear with pearl in it, then its the high gloss clear. For paint alone, not including ANYTHING else, not even the clear, just the pearl and the white is $450 OUR cost.

And I really appreciate your help along with the others that posted up info and opinions.

that balloon whites gonna look nice. personally though, i like white diamond pearl.

I hope it will actually look good on the car, thats what im most worried about lol

Back