RR's '99 coupe EX-L

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Re: RR's 3.2L '99 EX-L Coupe 6MT

Ordered some Inspire mirrors. I have to disassemble them and remove the internals so they can be painted, swap the heated glass over from the USDM mirrors, & figure out the wiring between them/JDM EP3 switch/6GA harness. But if all goes well I should end up with functioning heated power folding mirrors.

$_57.JPG

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

that's an odd looking shade of black

hah I was looking for black since I wasn't sure I'd be painting them. But I found these for a good price and my paint guy said he'd spray them for $100. So I'll have that and the cost of the USDM's you got in this project, which I'm okay with.

I'm mostly nervous about taking them apart. :skurred:

Looks blue and black, not white and gold to me.

"The Dress" is now a Halloween costume

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Varnell

Reaction score

hah I was looking for black since I wasn't sure I'd be painting them. But I found these for a good price and my paint guy said he'd spray them for $100. So I'll have that and the cost of the USDM's you got in this project, which I'm okay with.

I'm mostly nervous about taking them apart. :skurred:

"The Dress" is now a Halloween costume

:rolleyes:

I can understand being nervous. I tend to break things the first time. I've gotten better, but it never surprises me when I do.

As for the dress, they saw an opportunity and they took it. lol

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

I can't believe how well these fit, almost perfect. It would be cool to have them wired to close every time I turn the car off or arm the alarm, but I also don't want to use them unnecessarily and wear them out. I will probably end up only operating them with the switch.

temporary_40.jpg

temporary_42.jpg

temporary_44.jpg

Everything works, so now it's time to disassemble them so they can get paint.

Last edited:

Mikey

Reaction score

Wow. A lot of changes since I've been here last. Lol. I agree that the red is too bright. But idk how I'm feeling about red on the inside. You might be on your own on this one, lol. Digging the rearview mirror. I looked into this years ago when I had my 4GA and considered it then. It's always in the back of my mind but being on a budget and whatnot I have a hard time stomaching $125 for a mirror. I feel like I've found them cheaper than that but it wasn't custom. Was installation pretty straight-forward?

You already sorted the door switches so it's probably a moot point but I ran into a similar issue when I swapped in the wood ones. They were from a 98-00 and I had to break down the switch and swap internals. Used my old internals on the 98-00 switch. Lost the light function so I wasn't happy.

Mirrors look good. I definitely want PFM. It gets cold here but I don't think it gets cold enough for heated mirrors but it is a nice feature. Like the heated seats. I'd rather have cooled seats in the summer though. ;)

Just playing devil's advocate here but have you considered, while they're apart, working in some kind of light or turn signal? If not on the cover then perhaps behind the glass?

And what's this about rear LED side markers..?

Last edited:

Accord2Show

Reaction score

Looking good. Need to sed my how you you did this and how to find the parts what do I need to search for. Was the wiring job easy to do.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

Wow. A lot of changes since I've been here last. Lol. I agree that the red is too bright. But idk how I'm feeling about red on the inside. You might be on your own on this one, lol. Digging the rearview mirror. I looked into this years ago when I had my 4GA and considered it then. It's always in the back of my mind but being on a budget and whatnot I have a hard time stomaching $125 for a mirror. I feel like I've found them cheaper than that but it wasn't custom. Was installation pretty straight-forward?

Heyyyyy good to hear from ya! How is your car?

Red is definitely a louder interior accent color, but I think with the right shade it will look tasteful. The gauge pod has some red too, so the panels won’t be the only thing (would love to have red inserts in the seats but too much effort/money). There’s no other color I really want inside…maybe tan but finding tan perf leather that matches the existing tan would be a PITA. I don’t want black.

The only thing custom about the mirror was that the seller opens it up and applies a colored filter of your choice, otherwise it’s the same as what comes in some factory cars. The $120 included everything – camlock-to-wedge adapter, temperature sensor, wiring, terminals, zip ties, hardware, even a wire cover…everything you need for a complete install so that’s pretty nice. Another seller told me about this one, it’s cheaper and is still a good mirror:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261811120802?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Installation was pretty simple. The compass came calibrated so all I had to do was drive in a circle a couple times. The temperature reading came accurate as well. And the autodimming makes a big difference. The most involving part was running the wires from the temp sensor (mounted behind the grill) back to and through the firewall. But it wasn't hard, just time consuming. There was an unused grommet I just cut an X in with an x-acto knife, then fed the wires through - completely airtight.

You already sorted the door switches so it's probably a moot point but I ran into a similar issue when I swapped in the wood ones. They were from a 98-00 and I had to break down the switch and swap internals. Used my old internals on the 98-00 switch. Lost the light function so I wasn't happy.

Ah that’s a bummer Hmm maybe there was not a wire pinned for the light? I will have to fix that on the driver side, that was part of the reason I swapped…what all lights up on the 01-02 switches? Just the “AUTO” text on the driver window switch? I know my JDM PFM switch will also have the MIRROR text illuminated.

Maybe you saw this, but FNCONE is swapping in RL switches that have LED’s on them. Ohmuhgawd.

RL%20Passenger%20Button.jpg~original

Mirrors look good. I definitely want PFM. It gets cold here but I don't think it gets cold enough for heated mirrors but it is a nice feature. Like the heated seats. I'd rather have cooled seats in the summer though. ;)

Just playing devil's advocate here but have you considered, while they're apart, working in some kind of light or turn signal? If not on the cover then perhaps behind the glass?

Cooled seats would be sweet! I agree heated mirrors aren’t essential, but I do have to scrape mine sometimes so maybe it will be handy. I will definitely get the most out of the power folding. I’m also curious how much that blue-ish tint on TL mirrors reduces glare, all I know is it looks cool lol.

I have actually, if anything it would be on the mirror side. I came across this thread about SKP Dezigns which I found interesting. But these are for UA4, not to mention they are one offs from Japan so crazy $$.
http://acurazine.com/forums/photogr...r-ua4-5-side-mirrors-led-turn-signals-916061/

I also saw a thread somewhere where someone put LED’s behind the mirror glass, but I can’t find it now. I meant to explore that further because I wasn’t sure if the mirror glass was semi-transparent, or what. Or maybe there is a way to mount something somewhere else.

And what's this about rear LED side markers..?

Well it’s always bugged me how the whole sidemarker doesn’t light up, the bulb only illuminates the front half and even then it’s kind of lazy looking. I am going to try and find like a 3” LED tube to put in there so it’s one solid line of light front to back. Not sure how much room is behind the reflector though.

Whew, did I get everything? :lawl:

Looking good. Need to sed my how you you did this and how to find the parts what do I need to search for. Was the wiring job easy to do.

Well you have a few options for power folding mirrors. Check out this thread, some data has been gathered on various side mirrors.
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39585

FNCONE also made heated PFM’s with a set of RSX mirrors: http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50361

But it seems like the most straightforward routes are the UA4 or UA5 TL mirrors…they both fit well on coupes. You want to get mirrors that include the pigtails. Then you need a switch to actuate the power folding, either one that comes with a pair of mirrors you buy or from a JDM 5thgen Accord, or a JDM EP3 Civic. Some also have integrated relays, some have a separate one.

With FNCONE’s help I have learned a lot and the wiring for the mirror adjustment motor is pretty straightforward (3 wires). There are only two wires for the power folding motor so that shouldn’t be too hard surprisingly, but not sure on that yet. As for the heating elements, just two wires you tap into your rear defrost with, but they have to be run separately since there is only one unused pin on the PFM connector.

Last edited:

Varnell

Reaction score

I'm digging the mirrors, man. Did you get a video of them in action?

Also, your inbox stays full. I honestly can't remember what the J30 motor mounts looked like. I want to put spacers on my J32, but buying them from White6GAV6, he has them for the J30. I know the transmissions are different, but not sure if the spacers would need to be different. Just wondering if you can remember.

Back