stock shocks theory.

accord27

Reaction score
So I was thinking.... I keep seeing posts about stock shocks with lowering springs being a bad idea because the shock will blow out. I don't know if anyone ever thought of this before,but I was wondering if anyone ever tried using a tap to make more thread on the shock rod and shaving the rod down where the washer for the top hat lands a couple inches down. This causes the rod from traveling all the way to the bottom(which causes the shock to blow). So technically the rod will not blow due to bottoming out.

Sorry I can't elaborate much...I'm on my g1 fone typing this. Ill try to provide more info in the morning. =)

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Even if it did work, I dont think you can shave enough of the post to make a difference. It depends on the set upyou have.If you springs arent too short,itmight work.....Good idea tho

accord27

Reaction score
Well I wud figure maybe just a 1-1.8 inch drop. When I made my own short shifter...I took a grinder and was able to reduce the thickness of the shifter by shaving it all the way around then tapping it. Same process I wud think.

Drift

Reaction score
Have fun trying to thread the hardened metal they make those pistons out of.

accord27

Reaction score
It all depends on the road conditions and the type of spring I guess.

I may try it some day soon..just gotta find some time.

accord27

Reaction score
It all depends on the road conditions and the type of spring I guess.

I may try it some day soon..just gotta find some time.

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
Let me just say that even an angle grinder has a pretty good fight with a strut's rod, from my experience at least.

So it might be tough rethreading that. i don't know.

But yeah, a 1.8 drop" won't leave you with blown shocks anyways.... not sure what you're really trying to get at here. :thinking:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
you guys have really had that much trouble with stock shock piston rods? lol. i remember on my old 98 6g, one of the rears was far too rusted to get the bolt the rest of the way off, so my friend and i ended up hacksawing the top of the piston off, and from what i remember it went by fairly quick.

the op's idea doesnt sound too bad tho, but it sounds more like ghetto rigging at its finest. stock shocks arent valved for stiffer spring rates and such.

Back