Multiple CEL codes smog due in 8 days help!

6thgeni

Reaction score
Hello!
I have a 2001 LX Sedan with an f23 A1

I have multiple cel codes that point to a short to ground somewhere as the root of all these codes. I just don't know where to start.
I need to get it to pass smog in eight days or I'll be without a car. At first it was just throwing a code for the o2 sensor so I replaced it but now there's four codes and they all seem related. I just don't know where to begin. Maybe you can point me in the right direction.

These are all the codes:

OBD2
DTC report
Selected brand: Honda

============1==============
P0141
Raw code: 0141
ECU: 0D
OBDII: Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) 2, bank 1, heater control - circuit malfunction
Honda: Secondary Heated Oxygen Sensor (Secondary HO2S) (Sensor 2) Heater Circuit Malfunction
============2==============
P1164
Raw code: 1164
Honda: Air/Fuel Ratio (AF) Sensor (Sensor 1) Circuit Range/Performance; Air / Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor (Sensor 1) Range / Performance Problem A/F sensor,or Air / Fuel Ratio (AF) Sensor (Sensor 1) Circuit Range / Performance A/F sensor
============3==============
P1162
Raw code: 1162
OBDII: Fuel Temp. Sensor Circ. Short to Ground
Honda: Air/Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor (Sensor 1) Slow Response; Air / Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor (Sensor 1) Slow Response A/F sensor
============4==============
P1166
Raw code: 1166
OBDII: Air / Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor (Sensor 1) Heater System Electrical Problem A/F sensor heater,or Heated Oxgen Sensor Sensor1 (Primary HO2S) Heater Circuit Malfunction (HO2S)
Honda: Heated Oxgen Sensor Sensor1 (Primary HO2S) Heater Circuit Malfunction

I feel like these are all related to some kind you f electrical issue. But I could be completely off.

Any suggestions on where to begin?
I don't want to just start throwing parts at it I want to figure this out before my registration expires. I need this car for work and I'm starting to freak out a little.

T.$.Racing

Reaction score
What brand O2 sensor did you use?

And from the codes, it appears both O2's need replacing. Upstream & downstream.

Use NTK or Denso. Bosch O2's are garbage IMHO.Check the pig tail and wiring as well. I had a couple wires get frayed and come dislodged (I'm guessing from deep snow/slush) from the back of the plug on my downstream years ago, so I had to address that when replacing the sensor itself. Contact cleaner/ dielectric grease on the plug itself couldn't hurt either.

6thgeni

Reaction score
It was an off brand that I got on eBay. :/ Said it was "oe spec" but maybe not.

I'm looking at some denso sensors and keeping them in mind if I need them.

I just picked up a Haynes repair manual. So I'm going to look at that to see if I can figure out how to test the sensors and the plugs to make sure I know what the problem is.

Also just replaced the battery ground wire. It was really corroded. I doubt that could cause all that trouble but it needed to be cleaned up and replaced anyway.

I got work now so I'll see if it makes any difference and check back tomorrow.

Tomorrow morning I'll check out all the plugs and do my best to follow the repair manual.

Thanks for the suggestion! If the sensors test out bad I'll be getting denso sensors.

T.$.Racing

Reaction score
The test for the sensors was the CEL throwing codes for both of them, but you do you. The plugs themselves you can test with a multimeter.

FWIW, there is no "oe spec." That is a slogan for Chinese garbage. Denso is the OE sensor, you can easily get both for $120, if not cheaper.

6thgeni

Reaction score
The test for the sensors was the CEL throwing codes for both of them, but you do you. The plugs themselves you can test with a multimeter.

FWIW, there is no "oe spec." That is a slogan for Chinese garbage. Denso is the OE sensor, you can easily get both for $120, if not cheaper.

Well after replacing the corroded negative battery cable the only code that remains is p0141

But I'm driving around and checking to see if the others cone back because they might have just cleared because I disconnected the battery.

I'll be testing everything tomorrow since it's my day off and I'll finally have enough time to check everything out thoroughly.

Thanks for the suggestions if the sensors are indeed bad I'll be replacing with denso. I found a pair for $120 but I'm waiting to see if that's the actual issue.

T.$.Racing

Reaction score
If it ends up staying with only the p0141 that would be the downstream sensor, under the vehicle after the cat.

Back