GOOD 6th gen. automatics

drifthobo

Reaction score
tranny rebuilt before 100,xxx? (don't know, my brother owned the car before me) and now its slipping on 2nd atm.

v6indodarknight

Reaction score
02/I4, 70K, good (mine), never abused and has had several ATF changes
02/I4, 150K, good
02/I4, failed at 39K, babied and had fluid changed by dealer at 30K
98/I4, >150K, good
99/I4, >150K, good, this one has been abused
02/V6, 80K, good
01/V6, failed at 100K, babied and had dealer ATF changes
01/V6, 81K, good

have u noticed that the faild ones are the one maintained in dealer... LOL...

thats interesting...

02/I4, failed at 39K, babied and had fluid changed by dealer at 30K

maybe its not changed maybe it was flushed...

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
mine died at 111k. I beat on it after it started showing symptoms just because I wanted an excuse to do my 5 speed swap. I always changed my fluid on time, I had this car since around 20k.

After I was done, I took my old auto slushbox to a recycle yard and they gave $150 for scrap parts inside the tranny.

Namboyz

Reaction score
mines at 138K and im still good. changed the tranny fluid only once. but im still worried lol

sw2oboi

Reaction score
my tranny went out at 85k... daily driver mainly on the highway not abused, but honda has the 100k powertrain warrenty so it was rebuilt by the dealer. now has 110k and my friends and machanics says it gets in and outa gears very smooth for a car this old.

cajun

Reaction score
maybe its not changed maybe it was flushed...

Nah, the owner of the 02 that failed at 39K is a friend of mine. He babied the car and had a drain/refill (they don't flush) done at the local dealer at 30K.

The 02's were excluded from the trans extended warranty, but Honda Corp still paid for a reman.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
99 V6. Lags a little when shifting from 2nd to 1st when slowing down. Other than that, seems fine. I drain and refill every 6 months or 6000 miles. Unless I'm on the freeway I keep it in D3 so it shifts less and I never floor it from stop. I also never drive the car cold in the fall/winter. When putting the car in Drive from Park, I never touch the accelerator until I know the car is in 1st, and I always make sure the car is at a complete stop before moving the gear lever, like when going from Drive to Neutral to Reverse. Also, I pretty much plan on whether I'll use D3 or D4 depending on what road I'll be driving on, so I think of that ahead of time.

If I get on it when accelerating, I wait until 2nd gear to depress the pedal more. If at cruise & I'm going to downshift I make sure I'm using D4 so it will shift to 2nd instead of cruising in D3 and shifting to 1st. The former keeps lower rpm's, the latter causes more strain.

I know you have a 4cyl but thought I'd post what I do anyway in case it gave you any ideas. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

changaroo

Reaction score
all i can say is... set aside money for a rebuild / swap before you mod anything else on your car.

99 V6. Lags a little when shifting from 2nd to 1st when slowing down. Other than that, seems fine. I drain and refill every 6 months or 6000 miles. Unless I'm on the freeway I keep it in D3 so it shifts less and I never floor it from stop. I also never drive the car cold in the fall/winter. When putting the car in Drive from Park, I never touch the accelerator until I know the car is in 1st, and I always make sure the car is at a complete stop before moving the gear lever, like when going from Drive to Neutral to Reverse. Also, I pretty much plan on whether I'll use D3 or D4 depending on what road I'll be driving on, so I think of that ahead of time.

If I get on it when accelerating, I wait until 2nd gear to depress the pedal more. If at cruise & I'm going to downshift I make sure I'm using D4 so it will shift to 2nd instead of cruising in D3 and shifting to 1st. The former keeps lower rpm's, the latter causes more strain.

I know you have a 4cyl but thought I'd post what I do anyway in case it gave you any ideas. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

driving an auto shouldnt be this painful lol.

Back