AFAccord's First 3.2ch Listening Room/Home Theater

AFAccord

Reaction score
Hello all! This is my first true attempt at a home theater other than the typical HTIB. Honestly, it's geared more towards a 2.1 style 'music theater' than a movie theater, though I do like my eye-candy. :)

So here's the equipment list:

• Sharp Aquos 60" LED TV
  • Pioneer VSX-1021-K Receiver
  • Boston Acoustics A360 Towers for Front
  • Boston Acoustics A225C Center
  • Boston Acoustics A26 Bookshelf for Surround
  • (2) Velodyne MiniVee 10 Subs
  • Aperion Zona Wireless Bookshelf for Zone 2 (Currently in my bedroom)
  • Apple TV 2
  • DirecTV HD DVR Receiver with 1Tb storage & remote streaming
  • Belkin PF30 Power Conditioner
  • Cisco e4200 router
  • Linksys WET160N wireless bridge
  • Linksys SE2500 ethernet switch
  • iPhone 4 32Gb(iOS 5)
  • New iPad 4G 64Gb
  • 27" iMac (2011 model, max specs) for Media server and gaming

I was shopping for a stand for a long time to find something I really liked. I ended up finding the JSP Vivaldi TV Stand to be the one I wanted, but for a ridiculous $1700+.

JSP Vivaldi TV Stand
251257-L.jpg

Plus, it's on backorder from practically everywhere that carried it, so I set out to build it myself! A trip to Lowes and $220 later, I came home with
some Aspen boards and Birch Plywood to start my stand. I haven't yet decided on a stain color, but I when I do, I'll have to take it all down and
finish it. Here's the results!

View from the front entrance
DSC_1766.jpg

DSC_1781.jpg

DSC_1779.jpg

AVControl2 App for the AirPlay Receiver
DSC_1778.jpg

Where the real work gets done
DSC_1777.jpg

A360 Tower
DSC_1844.jpg

MiniVee 10's
DSC_1841.jpg

My newest addition, Belkin PF30 Power Conditioner. This made my wiring situation much better. I can now place the TV Stand almost flush against
the wall. I HATE messes of wires just sitting around!
DSC_1834.jpg

Stand almost flush against the wall, wires tucked beneath the baseboard
DSC_1815.jpg

DSC_1831.jpg

DSC_1827.jpg

Accidentally ordered a second alarm clock, so I figured out a nice convenient place to use it. Certainly helps the time from slipping away while
I'm relaxing on the couch enjoying my music. The other device is just for giggles. It lets me keep track of my power consumption from devices.
I'm pretty sure I've analyzed every device in my house at this point. lol
DSC_1821.jpg

DSC_1819.jpg

HATE loose wires...
DSC_1813.jpg

DSC_1812.jpg

Audio enjoyment on the go!
DSC_1809.jpg

To keep things in check...
DSC_1805.jpg

If I had the funds to upgrade at this point, I would likely start by replacing the Velodyne subs with something a little more potent in the 20-40hz range. I don't think I could get away with just one sub because the room has such serious mode issues, but subs get pretty expensive when you're shopping for two of them.

The next thing I would upgrade (which really isn't that far out of reach, just not a priority) would be the speakers. Before I got the BA's, I REALLY wanted to get Aperion's Verus Grande setup, towers, center, and surrounds, but I just couldn't justify spending that much on my first setup. Everything I've read and heard (including the Aperion Zona Wireless speakers I own) states that the Verus Grande system is easily the best sounding and performing speakers under $20,000, which to me, speaks wonders about them. Maybe one day when I get a bonus or hit the lottery. :)

Questions, comment, and constructive criticism is welcomed! Thanks for looking. :)

Last edited:

eggs

Reaction score
dude that looks soo dope.. kinda jealous.. nice pic tho

1bad6

Reaction score
Nice. What did that Sharp run ya? You make me want to post my setup too! Well done.

AFAccord

Reaction score

It's all about priorities I guess, unless you're just filthy rich.

dude that looks soo dope.. kinda jealous.. nice pic tho

Thanks.

Nice set up
I really liked this
DSC_1809.jpg

Is that an Altoids mp3 play if so N!CE

That's actually a custom amplifier for the headphones. I wanted a good way to experience my music when I was in Afghanistan, and portable audio is the only option. I've had those headphones for almost six years now. I performed a couple modifications to the headphones this past year, and was able to order all the parts to build that amplifier for them. I got to choose all the OpAmps and diodes for it to taylor the sound just how I like it.

photo2.jpg

208151_10150557916890657_861535656_18220646_1424551_n.jpg

Nice. What did that Sharp run ya? You make me want to post my setup too! Well done.

I won't say what I paid for it since I bought it as soon as it was announced, but I believe they can be had for under $1500 now. :eusa_wall:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Amazing ingenuity my friend. Lovin the entertainment center! Also props on the headphone amplifier.. Never would have even thought about doing something like that lol. Straight custom shit!

juicebox00

Reaction score
wow... that is a pretty awesome setup. :bowdown: props my dude. And I am sure that I remember seeing a DIY for that altoids amp.

Back