AFAccord's First 3.2ch Listening Room/Home Theater

AFAccord

Reaction score
Updated some of the components in the first page, and got DirecTV hooked up this weekend. Installed their HD/DVR with 1Tb HDD and remote streaming capability to my tablet/phone. Unfortunately the HD channels still don't hold a candle to Blu-Ray or even Netflix streaming from the PS3. I still want to upgrade my Apple TV 2 to the new one for 1080p streaming, though most 720p streams from it still look better than DirecTV's 1080i.

I want to try re-positioning the front towers a little closer together and aiming them directly forward instead of canting them inward to try improving the sound-stage. I also have some of my wife's 'functional' artwork up, so I'm due for some new photos once my rearranging is complete.

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
What did you use for vertical supports on your TV stands? Just the plywood or something else?

Room looks like great and probably sounds ridiculous.

AFAccord

Reaction score
What did you use for vertical supports on your TV stands? Just the plywood or something else?

Room looks like great and probably sounds ridiculous.

Initially I used two U-shaped bars of aluminum stock. It held, but leaned a bit too much for my liking because the aluminum flexed. I later added two bars of L-shaped steel stock, which made it stand perfectly straight.

The bass in the room is quite boomy unless you're sitting at the couch, and the soundstage isn't as sharp as I would like it, but I hope to fix that by moving the front towers a little.

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
Initially I used two U-shaped bars of aluminum stock. It held, but leaned a bit too much for my liking because the aluminum flexed. I later added two bars of L-shaped steel stock, which made it stand perfectly straight.

The bass in the room is quite boomy unless you're sitting at the couch, and the soundstage isn't as sharp as I would like it, but I hope to fix that by moving the front towers a little.

I asked because in the close up pick from the side it appeared to be leaning out a bit (could've just been an illusion, not sure when you took the pic).

Have you stained the stand yet, I really like the idea and may steal it.

AFAccord

Reaction score
The photos are from before I added the steel bars for reinforcement. So yeah, it had a little bit of a gangster lean. I have not stained the stand yet. I'm not sure I'll ever get around that. Lol

CG6>YourCar

Reaction score
If I had the funds to upgrade at this point, I would likely start by replacing the Velodyne subs with something a little more potent in the 20-40hz range. I don't think I could get away with just one sub because the room has such serious mode issues, but subs get pretty expensive when you're shopping for two of them.

Not to brag or anything but... I have two Snell SUB1800's, four Snell SUR500's, and a Snell HCC800 in my current set-up.

:hide:

I have always perfered old school components.

AFAccord

Reaction score
Ok so now I have to start my own thread lol My steup is 3.2 as well

I guess I'm technically 5.2 now that I've installed my surrounds. :D

Not to brag or anything but... I have two Snell SUB1800's, four Snell SUR500's, and a Snell HCC800 in my current set-up.

Your room must be HUGE!! Haha those subs alone need a box the size of a man chair. Lol

Back