Brakes Go to the Floor only when Tuning

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
So recently I was driving and my brakes would just go the floor when going into a turn.

I replaced my master cylinder, bench bled that and problem still persists.

I bled all the calipers twice, and the problem is still there.

When turning, the lines are not being touched, rubbed, etc...

It's wierd, because they will go the floor only on turns. Then you pump them a few times and they are back. I've read though a few other forums, and apparently this problems occurs very rarely. From other posts, people are saying it's either a brake booster or a "proportioning valve".

Just trying to get some insight on this

kn0x47

Reaction score
to test the brake booster have the car off and pump the brakes. if it gets really stiff then your booster is fine. the proportional valve controls the ratio to the front and rear brakes. if you have abs then you dont have a proportional valve. check the brake hoses at all 4 wheels and see if any of them are wet or swollen

Last edited:

chaby_91

Reaction score
^ This is not a brake booster issue. If it were, the pedal would be stiff at any moment. Also, he does have a proportionning valve... ABS doesn't change anything about that.

Brad2274

Reaction score
i think i might have a v6 proportioning valve laying around somewhere from my parts car, it was like some metal block that a bunch of lines went to

xci.ed6

Reaction score
6 lines, 2 master, each wheel.

but it sounds like a mysterious problem, hydraulics are not compressible, you can never push that pedal down. do it front wheels off the ground (lets ya turn easy). make 'pressure stop tools' to replace ckts, then you know which is dead. go to parts store, buy cheap line with the correct fitting!!!!!! you can twist the line, I went fancy w/ solder.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Check the fittings, check the line for places it's getting rubbed or pinched. Look for brake fluid/fluid residue. If you can, jack it up and turn the wheels one way, then inspect the brake assembly. Do this on both sides. Must be something out of whack...

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
to test the brake booster have the car off and pump the brakes. if it gets really stiff then your booster is fine. the proportional valve controls the ratio to the front and rear brakes. if you have abs then you dont have a proportional valve. check the brake hoses at all 4 wheels and see if any of them are wet or swollen

No wet or swollen lines. The pedal gets stiff when the car is off

i think i might have a v6 proportioning valve laying around somewhere from my parts car, it was like some metal block that a bunch of lines went to

I'd like to see a picture if at all possible

6 lines, 2 master, each wheel.

but it sounds like a mysterious problem, hydraulics are not compressible, you can never push that pedal down. do it front wheels off the ground (lets ya turn easy). make 'pressure stop tools' to replace ckts, then you know which is dead. go to parts store, buy cheap line with the correct fitting!!!!!! you can twist the line, I went fancy w/ solder.

So what you're saying is get it in the air, turn the wheels to check. What do you mean by "make pressure stop tools"

can it happen when just turning the wheel or is it only when cornering?

When you turn the wheel at all, barely moving or moving at like 30 or so

Check the fittings, check the line for places it's getting rubbed or pinched. Look for brake fluid/fluid residue. If you can, jack it up and turn the wheels one way, then inspect the brake assembly. Do this on both sides. Must be something out of whack...

Fittings are fine, lines are not being pinched, no fluid leaking.

I need to get this figured out

Back