DIY: Catch Can for 6th Gen Accords

jaxaccord

Reaction score
great write up badger, i had seen the same thing done on a TSX with the same "built from scratch parts" from lowes or HD..awesome, it does the same job as the "brand" names but for less $$...thanks for blessing us with the diyinfo

AFAccord

Reaction score
It's a bit crude right now, but nothing a few 90 degree elbows won't fix. :) About time to empty it too. Probably 75% of that was from the strip last night.

downsized_1016081658.jpg

downsized_1016081659.jpg

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
Installed mine the other day. Got a nice little oil collection already. And it looks 100x better than Matt's. :p

OG FTW, lol. yours is lookin good man. i would seafoam to get it officially cleaned up now.

you think that can is big enough for a v6? i was about to order a greddy oil catch, but its too much $$

it should

great write up badger, i had seen the same thing done on a TSX with the same "built from scratch parts" from lowes or HD..awesome, it does the same job as the "brand" names but for less $$...thanks for blessing us with the diyinfo

thanxs

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
I'll post pics of my install tomorrow, just gotta hook up the hoses now. AFAccord - that's a good idea to connect the left port with the center one. I wanted to do that as well, but it would leave an open hole on my CAI, and theres no oil coming out of left hole. I took off my CAI today specifically to check - not a drop out of the left hole.

I was thinking about this: okay so catch cans are functional, because we don't want oil in the IM. So the real question is - why didn't Honda realize that oil in IM was bad? Why did they hook it up the way they did? Makes me wonder..

Also makes me scared to find out how much oil is gunking up my IM now! :ugh:

Any input on the purpose/thought behind the way Honda did it?

Last edited:

AFAccord

Reaction score
You are correct. There is no oil coming out from the left vent, but it is a vent nonetheless, and applying a vacuum can only benefit its purpose. I screwed a bolt into the hole on the stock intake arm. lol

I'm sure the reason Honda designed it as they did to save costs, and because it's maintenance free. It's not necessarily that oil in the IM is bad, but it's certainly not desirable for someone concerned about cleanliness and efficiency.

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
is exhaust gas good for our engines?

its one of these emissions thing tht had to be taken care of

PSYCO G 305

Reaction score
From my understanding the PCV is really ''supposed'' to not let oil through. That is why there is only one on the hose that has the most vacuum. AFACCORD.... I bet a lot of that oil that is being ''caught'' in the catch can is from the left side hole since it now has more of a vacuum with out there being a PCV.... Maybe we could install a PCV in that hole some how as well...

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
From my understanding the PCV is really ''supposed'' to not let oil through. That is why there is only one on the hose that has the most vacuum. AFACCORD.... I bet a lot of that oil that is being ''caught'' in the catch can is from the left side hole since it now has more of a vacuum with out there being a PCV.... Maybe we could install a PCV in that hole some how as well...

I see what you're saying. That's a good call, maybe putting a pcv in the other hole would help as well, since it's now hooked up to a constant vacuum.

Last edited:
Back