DIY: Catch Can for 6th Gen Accords

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
whats the purpose for this? sorry im a noob..

What is it:

In an engine, there are two areas of air pockets in which the air is not directly related to combustion. Within these two areas, oil and air are separated from the combustion chambers and coolant jackets for the purpose of lubrication of the engine. The upper air and oil pocket is constrained by the valve cover at the top, and the valve seals at the lower end. The bottom air and oil pocket is constrained by the piston rings at the top and the oil pan in the bottom.
In a perfect world, these two lubrication areas would not pressurize. However, in real life compression leaks by valve seals and piston rings in what is called blow-by. Blow by introduces pressure into the two pockets of air and oil (the head and the crankcase). In addition, heat caused as a byproduct of combustion causes air molecules to expand which also causes the pressure to increase in these lubrication areas. If no ventilation system was employed to release this pressure, it would find the point of least resistance to escape, which could be oil seals...or worse.

To relieve this pressure, a system called Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV for short) is used. It is a closed system that takes the pressurized air and oil vapor from these two lubrication areas and introduces it back into the combustion chamber, by way of vacuum caused by the intake charge.

What good is it for our cars:

On a stock or slightly modified car, there is little point of this. For me, its partially used to prevent detonation when I use nitrous. This is also gonna be needed when I go turbo and is a cheaper version than the $90 ones. Plus I would like to keep the intake manifold clean as possible, lol.

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
good write up badger. the skittles uses the same thing for the OCC.
what is the wool steel mesh for anyway? filtration i assume?

xluben

Reaction score
Here's a couple pics of my DIY that I posted on V6P a while ago:

here's my DIY model (4cyl):

catchcan010fd4hp0.jpg

catchcan011ww0gj4.jpg

it would fill up every tank of gas (daily driver), but the car had major oil consumption problem (1qt oil for every 100 miles!)

when i got the engine swapped i took it off.

It really did fill up every tank of gas. I put mine on and left the stock filter in place. It seemed to filter out oil fairly well.

AFAccord

Reaction score
both mine and his are "correct" ways to run a catch can. but i found that 80-90% of recirculated oil comes from the IM side. thgis is simply because there is more vacumm on the IM side than the intake side. you could run two but i can fill 2 of mine with oil before that way sees more than a few drops

Actually his is NOT correct. That inlet on the intake is before the throttle body, where there is MUCH less vacuum if any at all. After the TB, (inside the intake manifold) is where vacuum is created because the pistons are 'pulling' air in, against a sealed enclosure. The catch can needs to draw vacuum from the intake manifold to be at all useful.

MikeyMike

Reaction score
you think that can is big enough for a v6? i was about to order a greddy oil catch, but its too much $$

Back