5-speed swap help

jbl2bgone

Reaction score
Yeah its another 5 speed swap question, but I've done all the searching for this and found most things useful but still haven't found the answer I am looking for.

I have a 2001 f23a4 engine, but its the SULEV engine. I am just wondering if I were to do the 5 speed swap do I need to get the 01-02 manual ecu for the tranny to run properly or can I just use the same ecu that came with my car? If I needed to get the manual ecu should I get the one that they use in the 5 speed ULEV engines? I prefer to keep everything obd2. Honda never made a 5-speed specifically for the SULEV, and I was wondering if I could still use any h/f series tranny or ecu?

Also just to clarify something, if I were to get a h22 5-speed tranny and bolt it onto the f23a4 I just need to get the ecu for the 01-02 manual accord right? Or do I need to get the ecu from a prelude?

Any help would be great, planning to do the swap soon and I just need to get some things clarified.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm...good question. Don't think we've ever ran into this before. I'd say...try and find a ULEV 5spd ecu at the very least. You can use the auto ecu as a temp fix but it'll be in limp mode basically all the time.

You don't need an H22 ecu to run an H22/23 5spd trans. The ecu only controls the motor when you have a manual car.

CHID0

Reaction score
I had the same issue, it will run properly on any 5speed ecu (except the DX one) however, you will get a CEL. This is because the o2 sensor wiring and the o2 sensor on the manifold is different. There is one or two relays that need to be bypassed, as well as additional re-pinning and tapping at the ECU harness. There was no write-up on this when I did my swap. I needed to figure the **** out in order to pass inspection. I have a 99 ULEV different but the same predicament. If you want, i can either forward you my sloppy notes and if i have time i can make it pretty and easier to read. I'll take a look at my haynes and see if the wiring is similar when i get home and let you know.

You'll also need to pick up a non-ULEV o2 sensor HERE

Good luck

jbl2bgone

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification BlkCurrantKord.

I had the same issue, it will run properly on any 5speed ecu (except the DX one) however, you will get a CEL. This is because the o2 sensor wiring and the o2 sensor on the manifold is different. There is one or two relays that need to be bypassed, as well as additional re-pinning and tapping at the ECU harness. There was no write-up on this when I did my swap. I needed to figure the **** out in order to pass inspection. I have a 99 ULEV different but the same predicament. If you want, i can either forward you my sloppy notes and if i have time i can make it pretty and easier to read. I'll take a look at my haynes and see if the wiring is similar when i get home and let you know.

You'll also need to pick up a non-ULEV o2 sensor HERE

Good luck

yeah any notes would be great, thanks. btw, will you still be able to pass inspection/smog if you swap out the o2 sensors and do I have to rewire anything for the o2 sensor or does is it just PnP?

CHID0

Reaction score
You'll pass inspection. You won't have any CELs if you do it that way and it will pass smog.

CHID0

Reaction score
The Haynes doesn't show a difference in wiring for the ULEV and the SULEV, so here are the notes. The white paper is my notes and the haynes manual is where you can trace your wiring to the new wiring. I basically compared the wiring diagrams and noted what needs to be changed. Remember you have to get the non-ULEV o2 sensor as well.

There is a relay at the passenger side kick panel way way up under there (kinda difficult to get to. I think there's a 10mm bolt holding the bracket in place, remove this for more clearance.
If you need more help deciphering my scribble hit me up on IM (SN's in my profile)

10-26-2009-1.jpg

10-26-2009-2.jpg

10-26-2009-3.jpg

10-26-2009-4.jpg

10-26-2009-5.jpg

10-26-2009-6.jpg

10-26-2009-7.jpg

Back