1998 Accord Sound System HELP

lilcharlie

Reaction score
yeah, that's the exact reason people get 4 channel amps :wtf1:

you best buy guys are the worse :boo:

he said he doesnt want to be loud so why would you put a 4 channel amp when he will only be pushing 400 watts of bass??????????????? i have all my components runing off the radio and it sounds fine!!!

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i blew a stock honda speaker off my premier headunit, ffs. with a whopping 16 watts going to it. cant imagine a component set getting the same (well below minimum power) would fare much better.

honestly...put an amp on your components, then come back and tell us how the head unit sounds.

botang47

Reaction score
after providing your speakers with the appropriate rms ratings using a good quality amplifier, the clarity should increase more than volume if your gains and what not are all set correctly.

ericthecheat

Reaction score
If you don't spring for a 4 channel amp you can increase the low-pass filter on the sub amp to restrict your sub to lower tones and perhaps use a crossover (software/hardware) to keep your speakers to the highs. I think this is how finch does it and the lyrics come across the bass really clean even when the bass is cranked. Also, I have a ported box for my two 12" Alpine subs and although it allows for very LOUD bass, I much prefer the cleaner hits that come with a sealed box. It's on my list of things to do before winter.

P.S.- I haven't spent a lot of time in cars with mismatched front and rear speakers, but I have spent a lot of time with a home theatre system that had a mismatched center channel. *shudders* :puke: The stereo sound always sounded like it was taking a big deuce all over the vocal track.

callmeryang

Reaction score
he said he doesnt want to be loud so why would you put a 4 channel amp when he will only be pushing 400 watts of bass??????????????? i have all my components runing off the radio and it sounds fine!!!
i need to replace my HU anyway cause the volume control is sketchy.

honestly...put an amp on your components, then come back and tell us how the head unit sounds.[/QUOTE]

yep
HU
speaker
1 12" sub
some kind of amp..4 channel?
some have different opinions..hm

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
If you don't spring for a 4 channel amp you can increase the low-pass filter on the sub amp to restrict your sub to lower tones and perhaps use a crossover (software/hardware) to keep your speakers to the highs. I think this is how finch does it and the lyrics come across the bass really clean even when the bass is cranked. Also, I have a ported box for my two 12" Alpine subs and although it allows for very LOUD bass, I much prefer the cleaner hits that come with a sealed box. It's on my list of things to do before winter.

P.S.- I haven't spent a lot of time in cars with mismatched front and rear speakers, but I have spent a lot of time with a home theatre system that had a mismatched center channel. *shudders* :puke: The stereo sound always sounded like it was taking a big deuce all over the vocal track.
you have to set the low pass on the sub amp anyway since ive seen some as high as 200hz and not many around here are running 8s (someday... :lawl: ). the problem is you would have to change the low-pass XO in the headunit...and that means having a headunit with active XOs or at least a semblance of active XOs). i dont even think the XO points of my passive for the front components have a published number...they might be printed on the boards but they're installed in the car obviously :eusa_wall:

as long as you dont have any gaps in frequency response, you could (theoretically) put any speaker with any other speaker. you'd just have to cross them over right to prevent any dips or peaks and EQ any dips or peaks. HT has its own challenges vs the car :explode:
i need to replace my HU anyway cause the volume control is sketchy.

yep
HU
speaker
1 12" sub
some kind of amp..4 channel?
some have different opinions..hm
are you set on running rear speakers? for one, the fronts are plenty by themselves...dont let anyone tell you they like the "surround effect" because there shouldn't be one. the only way i can tell i dont have any rear speakers is to get in the back seat. why would i be in my backseat while driving? lol...ya know? :lawl:

second, running rear speakers, you have to be sure that the sound isn't pulled to the back of the car. i'm sure youve been in cars where people blew their fronts or put upgraded 6x9s in the back, then turned the fader to the rear. sounds like dookie because the sound is coming from behind you.

so you have to decide...do you have enough passengers in back to warrant rear speakers? then you have to keep in mind that they will cost money and will need 2 channels of an amp to run.

i would personally get:
(1) 1 channel or bridgeable 2-channel amp, making 400 watts.
(1) 2 channel or bridgeable 4-channel making something like 50-100 x 2 or 50 x 4 (then bridged into 100 x 2).

callmeryang

Reaction score
hmm, i sometimes hhave passengers, but usually im rolling with a female in the front and the back is empty.
im worried that it'll sound bad if i don't change the speakers in the back, i just thought it would make sense.
so replace HU
and frnot speakers with amp and sub?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
thats what i would do :coffee:

if you want a quick test, go out and unclip the little harnesses from the 6x9s in back and leave the fader on the headunit to 0. you can't crank the volume too much (obviously) but it will give you an idea of the sound.

i've been rear-speakerless for about 3.5 years now. my front components get plenty loud. if you want others to hear your music outside the car, which you shouldn't because its annoying, then get rear speakers.

Back