2001 Honda Accord EX, car suddenly stops

Reaction score
So I performed the continuity test for the ignition switch. It’s good! Not faulty at all.

Now while I was disconnecting the negative battery terminal before I did the test, I then notice that the wire from the negative side of the battery to chassis (frame) was totally loose!!! I think this may have been the issue. I fixed the connection now. Driving it tomorrow. Will keep everyone updated.

I swear it’s the little things.

Reaction score
Update. Wasn’t the chassis wire. Car turned off this morning while I was driving.

Now I am suspecting the main relay and the distributor. But I’m curious if a faulty main relay would cause a car to stall while driving.

Does anyone know of any videos on how to test the distributor? Thanks!!!

T.$.Racing

Reaction score
I'd lean towards the main relay. Mine used to do the same thing, but usually out of absolutely no where when on the highway cruising for prolonged periods. If you have a boneyard near by stop in and grab one to see if that solves the problem, otherwise hit up ebay....

Reaction score
I'd lean towards the main relay. Mine used to do the same thing, but usually out of absolutely no where when on the highway cruising for prolonged periods. If you have a boneyard near by stop in and grab one to see if that solves the problem, otherwise hit up ebay....

I think I’ll do exactly that. Thank you!

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Mine would suddenly die. And it would die when I jiggled the key. But for some reason me bypassing the ignition all together solved my problem

Reaction score
Took the main relay circuit card (with its connector still attached) off from its housing. When I did that, I accidentally shorted the circuit card to ground. After that it didn’t want to turn over. Not sure if I burnt something or what lol was going to replace it anyways since it’s suspect.

I checked the fuses just in case (fuse 1 and 13 on the driver side fuse box) and I’m good.

Welp I have to wait until Saturday so I can go to the junk yard and pull a relay. Hopefully it does the trick.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update!!

Due to me shorting out the circuit card of the main relay, I ended up blowing fuse 46 that is under the hood fuse box. I’ve attached the diagram that I used to solve my issue.

Anyways, due to me shorting out the circuit card, my car wouldn’t start anymore until I replaced that 15amp fuse. So that solved that temporary issue.

I later then went to purchase a new main relay. I noticed that these are different now. They have IC chips in them now which are more reliable than the old relays.

I replaced the relay and have drove around for two days. Car has not stalled. I may have solved my issue.

I appreciate everyone’s help these past couple of days. Hopefully this thread helps someone else in the future.

Just a side note. Whenever your car doesn’t want to start, I would say to make it a good habit to check for blown fuses per the diagram I attached. Might as well cancel all that out.

If anyone is wanting to know how to see if their ignition switch is bad per a continuity test, see the YouTube link below. It helped a lot to eliminate what was my problem.

Again, thanks!!

C663ED9F-3BB6-47CE-8C7D-1BC9AE38ECAB.gif

Back