6th Gen Tranny CURSE

hilodaze

Reaction score
my transmission does this too. at around id say 4,000 rpm. itll go up about 150-200 rpm before going into gear. but if i drive really smoothly. it doesnt do it. im gonna start doing the D&R. i got only 64000 miles. i may have put too much fluid in the first D&R. i took out 2.5 quarts and put in 3 quarts. 2nd time. took out 2.5 quarts and put in 2.5 quarts. i think the next time im going to put in 2 quarts of atf only. what do you guys think?

cajun

Reaction score
"i think the next time im going to put in 2 quarts of atf only. what do you guys think?"

I think you should put in the correct amount. The drain takes out about 2.5 quarts. Pour a little under 2.5 back in, start the car, go through the gears and then measure right after you shut off the car. Add more as needed. Check the fluid level after the next time you take your car out for a spin. You don't want too much or too little with our fragile trans.

cajun

Reaction score
Gerard,

Definitely do a drain/refill (3 times) on your trans. Also, are you new to Accords? What you think is a slipping trans could actually be normal. My 4cyl/auto has felt very Buick-like since day one when it comes to acceleration.

jbisselwhiteac6

Reaction score
you should get your engine mounts checed because one of mind is real bad i filled the gap with a piece of rubber and the tranmission that doing the same as your worked actually smoother accleration

honda_dude

Reaction score
is a tranny flush better than a drain & refill?? i gotta get mine done soon but i dont kno what to do..a flush or a D&R?? my car has 112,XXX right now...i kno my car was takin to the dealer at 80,XXX but i dont kno if they did a flush or a D&R

6thgenGerardoh1

Reaction score
thanks guys for the info, my car is currently at a shop and it turns out that my motherr who gave me the car never got the timing belt changed and my car has 112,xxx miles on it so i'm getting a new timing belt, new water pump, transmission flush and fluid, an oil change (the dealer never gives me enough oil) AND yes i'm new to honda. toyota is what i first worked with studied and practiced, now its time to study and practice honda!

--also, my dad claims that its the timing belt that maybe the problem or i'm just used to driving toyota

honda_dude

Reaction score
thanks guys for the info, my car is currently at a shop and it turns out that my motherr who gave me the car never got the timing belt changed and my car has 112,xxx miles on it so i'm getting a new timing belt, new water pump, transmission flush and fluid, an oil change (the dealer never gives me enough oil) AND yes i'm new to honda. toyota is what i first worked with studied and practiced, now its time to study and practice honda!

--also, my dad claims that its the timing belt that maybe the problem or i'm just used to driving toyota

make sure they adjust the vavles when they do the timing belt...it should be included but sometimes they do not do it...better be on the safe said and ask

cajun

Reaction score
hondaDude - Look in your owner's manual, Honda recommends a drain/refill (done 3 times) using only Honda's ATF. The Honda ATF goes about $5/qt, but for peace of mind it's worth the price. It's easier to do than an oil change. I've read that a flush could screw up your trans.

honda_dude

Reaction score
hondaDude - Look in your owner's manual, Honda recommends a drain/refill (done 3 times) using only Honda's ATF. The Honda ATF goes about $5/qt, but for peace of mind it's worth the price. It's easier to do than an oil change. I've read that a flush could screw up your trans.

why would the honda dealer do a flush if it screw up the tranny??

BTW, what do u mean 3 times??

cajun

Reaction score
Are you sure they are calling it a "flush" vs. a trans "service?" The two dealers near me don't flush. Search this board and the web for Accord trans flush and decide for yourself.

3 times means you do the drain/refill process 3 times as described in the manual. Between drain/refills you run the car to circulate the new fluid. Each time you drain only about 1/3 of the fluid comes out, so by the third drain/refill you will have mostly new fluid.

Back