'99 EX V6 Sporadic Throttle Cut Out / Hesitation

kyonpalm

Reaction score
mx5kev said:
You will need a spi seal the inner one. Just changed it on mine.
Sorry, not familiar, what's an SPI seal?

Last edited:

Chris S

Reaction score
If you haven't already put the parts on I suggest buying a whole distributor from 1aauto for $113 delivered and return the parts, since the internal oil leak cannot be stopped once it starts and you'll just foul the new parts. I put one on mine several months ago and it works like a charm. Additional notes - the internal seal cannot be replaced on this generation. That's where the oil leak starts. The previous generation, yes, but not the 6th, 1998-2002 generation. The external seal/o-ring is not the problem so don't waste your time doing that, unless it is also leaking between the engine and the distributor- where the two mate together. Also, if you have had this leak check the water hose just below and slightly behind the distributor. If it is glossy with oil then you need to change it to or it will swell and explode and coolant will spray all over the engine possibly shorting other things. A silicone hose in this location wouldn't be a bad idea if you're going to keep the car forever. I didn't but just saying. Also, the oil in the distributor may not be your problem, mine ran fine with oil in the distributor for years, but you need to change it anyway. The original problem may actually be an intermittent ground in the fuel system (wires, relay, etc).

kyonpalm

Reaction score
If you haven't already put the parts on I suggest buying a whole distributor from 1aauto for $113 delivered and return the parts, since the internal oil leak cannot be stopped once it starts and you'll just foul the new parts. I put one on mine several months ago and it works like a charm. Additional notes - the internal seal cannot be replaced on this generation. That's where the oil leak starts. The previous generation, yes, but not the 6th, 1998-2002 generation. The external seal/o-ring is not the problem so don't waste your time doing that, unless it is also leaking between the engine and the distributor- where the two mate together. Also, if you have had this leak check the water hose just below and slightly behind the distributor. If it is glossy with oil then you need to change it to or it will swell and explode and coolant will spray all over the engine possibly shorting other things. A silicone hose in this location wouldn't be a bad idea if you're going to keep the car forever. I didn't but just saying. Also, the oil in the distributor may not be your problem, mine ran fine with oil in the distributor for years, but you need to change it anyway. The original problem may actually be an intermittent ground in the fuel system (wires, relay, etc).
Funny you should say this, I'm just now about to give up on the dizzy job as I'm having a hell of a time getting the pin out of the shaft. Thanks for the advice - I might just go ahead and do that. I do recall the water hose directly beneath the distributor being slick and clearly oil-fouled, so hooray, more parts to buy. You wouldn't happen to know the part number on that hose, would you?

And yeah, I've been made aware it's not likely the source of my troubles by a few different people, but at least it led me to fixing something, if a bit unrelated. How would I test for bad grounds in the fuel system?

Also, if I'm gonna get a new dizzy, would a salvage one like this be fine as long as its internal seals look good? Or this much cheaper new one? Not savvy on the dangers of third-party/generic dizzys, so curious.

Last edited:

kyonpalm

Reaction score
So I went and got a salvage dizzy and of course it was in even worse shape than my current one. Returned for a refund and ordered a new generic. Just arrived yesterday, will put it on tomorrow.

Also gonna look for a replacement hose for the one that's been soiled, but am not sure what the part number is or where I can find a new one. Here's a video of it:

https://vimeo.com/169758854

Any help?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it and ordered along with a new fuel pump (FINALLY).

Last edited:

kyonpalm

Reaction score
Just to bring some closure in case anyone else reading this has the same issue, it ended up being a bad primary O2 sensor.

Back