Ac help

maximus017

Reaction score
Alright its the beginining of July in Texas, and its hot as Balls...not a good time to have the AC start to act up. So I have noticed lately, it takes a while to get the cabin cooler, seems like at start up there is no cold air being blown at all. Once I start moving, the cold air starts to fly, and occasionally I have a like a sweet/musty smell flowing thru the vents. Now the scent I have smelled has only been twice. I am trying to find out what it could be. I am hoping its a fan, or belt, but I am prepared for the compressor or condenser...Any ideas on what it could be would be greatly appreciated.

SuperMidget

Reaction score
Let your car idle with ac on and look under the hood,
Do you notice the compressor cycling constantly?

Does it smell like rubber? sweet and musty... that's a broad description.. Also it could be your receiver/dryer is needing replacement..

Find the sight glass (if there is one) in the system and if its streaky with what looks like oil.. your refrigerant charge is low.

maximus017

Reaction score
I changed the Cabin Filter Last year...

I think I have found my problem...I was in the car with the AC on, in front of the house, when I looked down, I noticed my temp needle was crazy high...It was pinned beyond the H...I shut the car down, open the hood, and in the Radiator reservoir tank was boiling/over flowing with coolant (Sweet/Musty Smell). I let the car cool down, then started it up again with out the ac, and let it sit for a while and the radiator fan came on (if you are looking into the hood, the right fan)came on...I turned on the AC, compressor came on, cabin was cooling but no ac fan (left fan), I took a pipe and and hammer and gave a good whack on the motor housing and immediately the fan came on...Basically need to replace the fan.

This is where I am totally confused, every picture that I look at for getting the fan, hondapartsdeal...they all show the ac fan (smaller fan) on the left and the radiator (bigger fan) on the right. In my ride, the bigger fan is on the right, and the smaller on the left. Usually I am very sure of these kind of things, but the car was in a wreck a few years ago (front end mangled) and the body shop had to do some work on it...so I am trying to figure out if they swapped fans or something, cuz if they did well they are going to have to do the replacement.

Can anyone confirm which fan is suppose to be where....

Should the Left Fan be AC and Right be Radiator...
or
Should the left be Radiator and right be AC?

Last edited:

maximus017

Reaction score
thanks for the info...its the ac fan that out...thanks for the help on my way to get the fan and do the replacement!

Back