AC....its 109 outside with a 115 heat index.....

jared21927

Reaction score
Ok here's the deal. Its been extremely hot in GA where I live lately....115 heat index....crazy!!!!!! My ac works when it wants to. It was recharged about 3 months ago before it got hot so it still blows very cold....when its on. When im drivin the ac clutch clicks on and off, on and off, on and off. At night or specifically when its a little cooler the ac works just fine.....I dont think the compressor is going bad, the pressure has been checked....its 35psi, serpentine belt and power steering belt was replaced last week and the problem started approximately 4 days later. Is it the belts? or could it be anything else that keeps making the clutch kick on and off? Its annoying cuz when it does this the ac cuts off and im back to hot azz air.....Any advice....o yea did i mention its REALLY hot!!!!

finch13

Reaction score
It's probably low... probably leaking out somewhere. How did you recharge it?

35psi on the low side seems pretty low if it's that hot out, I'd expect somewhere between 40-55psi at least, probably 180-250psi on the high side.

Or you could have the exact opposite, the condenser it too clogged with bugs and dirt that the high side pressures are 350+ and the pressure switch is turning the compressor on and off.

My guess is it's either overcharged or condenser clogged, since you said it works fine when it's cooler out.

jared21927

Reaction score
i took it to a shop for the recharge.....i havent checked the high side pressure. I got a gauge ill do that. How would I unclog the compressor? Can i do that or is a shop required?

finch13

Reaction score
You probably don't have a gauge for the high side... I'd be surprised if you do.

To unclog the condenser, you just need to spray water through the backside (engine bay side) towards the front of the car. The condenser is the black thing in front of the radiator that looks like a radiator. A pressure washer would work even better.

jared21927

Reaction score
cleaned the condenser really good with a hose.....still the same problem.....put a lil but of r134 in thinking that would help and still nothing. pressure is good but it still comes on and goes off

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
usually when the clutch kicks on and off it means the charge is low ... it's cheaper to take it to a certified mechanic than to check the refrigerant ... it's far more expensive to replace that compressor, so i suggest getting it professionally recycled, vacuumed, and recharged ...

v6indodarknight

Reaction score
yoooo savannah boy... it as hot here too in atl... and the problem is that i work in a drycleaner plant... u know what that mean... sweat pouring like niagara fall... its hhhhooootttttt....

gl fixing ur ac

jared21927

Reaction score
yoooo savannah boy... it as hot here too in atl... and the problem is that i work in a drycleaner plant... u know what that mean... sweat pouring like niagara fall... its hhhhooootttttt....

gl fixing ur ac

GA in the house!!!!!.......literally cuz its hot as S@*%!!!! lol

update: took it to the shop......said it was overcharged and the compressor couldnt function correctly.....they recharged it and tightened my belts to spec.....works like new.....only cost me $100

Back