amp goes into protect mode??

99accord boi

Reaction score
hey guys i need your help i have a hifonics bxi1610d amp thats pushing a 15L7 in a sealed box. ive been running this set up for nearly a year now and a couple of days ago the amp has been goin into protect mode after a couple of min of being turned on. regardless of the volume music is being played at it turnes off at around 5-15 mins of use.
also if i turn off the car or cut power to the amp for a couple mins and reconnect power the amp will work for another 5-15 mins
i have checked my ground and its fine
checked all other connections and are all tight

eggs

Reaction score
Have you messed with the settings at all? I know mine did that when the gain was too
High.. Lowered the gain and it stopped doing it

lashlee

Reaction score
If an amp goes into protect with no respect to volume then you have a problem with either the wires or the sub. Considering it worked well for nearly a year I would rule out the cables or wiring and look into the sub. Over the last year the coil is more than likely overheated a few times and the epoxy has lost it's hold on the coil wire and it has slowly expanded where it's shorting when moved. I would unhook the sub and see if the amp shuts down. If it doesn't than you've found the source.

99accord boi

Reaction score
yea i checked the ring terminal at the battery post and tightened that one a bit but it still made no diff im almost sure its something wrong with my sub
lashlee if my sub is messed up is it fixable?

lashlee

Reaction score
Yes and no. Kicker or a speaker repair company would be able to fix it by replacing the cone which is attached to the coil. Whether or not it's worth it is up to you. In generally it's cheaper to replace it than repair.

Back