Another tranny thread smh....

jared21927

Reaction score
Well here's the story....I drive a 99 4dr 4 cylinder and my 1st gear started slipping and shifting hard just after 100,000 miles. I hit 100,000 in october 2008 and now i sit at approximately 117,000 miles.....I was expecting my tranny to be fried by now but nothing has changed. 1st gear still shifts hard but it has not progressively gotten worse. I dont have a problem with any other gears and 1st only shifts hard to 2nd going up. This leads me to believe that the tranny may not be dying.....Any solutions? I heard once it start slipping it gets worse and u only have like 5,000 miles left or whatever. I have changed the fluid only twice since i have had the car. I got the car in 05. I changed it after 100,000 miles and then again last week. The first time I changed it, the fluid was black. Last week its was brownish red. Im just confused as to if the tranny is dying cuz nothing is getting worse, its still the same. I need some insight and advice. Thanks in advance....
sam.gif

Last edited:

TheHunter

Reaction score
Are you serious? The .gifs are making this basically unreadable for me. They're not even entertaining lol. If your fluid was dark and smelled smokey then you've definitely caused damage... thats about all i could get out of that mess ^

jared21927

Reaction score
Are you serious? The .gifs are making this basically unreadable for me. They're not even entertaining lol. If your fluid was dark and smelled smokey then you've definitely caused damage... thats about all i could get out of that mess ^

My bad on the gifs dude......Any clue as to what kind of damage? The fluid looked nomal last week

F23A1AT

Reaction score
yep

ANY change in color away from clear, cherry red = overheating.

heat kills transmissions...just ask V6'ers :hide:

i :lawl:'d at the pulp fiction gif...

The only clear fluid I have ever seen in a car is Brake fluid, or PS fluid

ATF is supposed to be cherry red, if it is any color darker than that it is burned and should have been changed a while before. Best way I can describe what it looks like is red Jello before it goes in the fridge, that is best condition it will ever be in.

Last edited:

jared21927

Reaction score
wtfnig.gif
.....ok so now that i Know its a heat issue which makes sense.....what is my solution? Like I said, I changed it last week and it was reddish brown. It shifts hard only in first. Is there a common solution to this besides changing the fluid?

01ULEVTW

Reaction score
wtfnig.gif
.....ok so now that i Know its a heat issue which makes sense.....what is my solution? Like I said, I changed it last week and it was reddish brown. It shifts hard only in first. Is there a common solution to this besides changing the fluid?

There's really not much you can do to save this b.s. transmission.....i know because mine just went out yesterday at 80k miles. Yes, only 80k miles. There's no 2nd gear, the car red-lines in first gear and doesn't want to shift at all; grinding noise the entire time. I only drive my car on average of once a week to Jersey and back, and that's what killed this trans? ****.

BTW, i changed my trans fluid 4 times between January '09 and January '10, with Honda automatic trans fluid.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^Dang that sucks man. Either you got extremely unlucky with that tranny or the person who owned the car before you tore it to pieces.

I change my tranny fluid every other oil change, and aside from being a little rougher in the winter, no changes since I bought it 3 years and 42k miles ago.

OP I would keep draining and filling that fluid until it's red.

Back