Automatic shifter knob

thatklazzickid

Reaction score
i looked into getting a different automatic shift knob but decided to tackle the tl/cl/prelude gated shifter swap and im glad i did! i love the way it looks. i had it swapped into the car in less than 2 hours, partly due to starting late and having light issues with doing it in the dark. i highly recommend it.

i used this tutorial when i did mine. the only part you need is a TL/CL shifter assembly from 2003 or earlier. the prelude one works too, they are pretty much the same aside from the gears indicated, but that doesnt matter. i paid 50 for mine on ebay and bought the shift boot a little after i did the swap. im not sure why, but when i did mine, the center trim piece, (the woodgrain one in my car) didnt fit around number 1 in the pic below. number 2 is a trim piece that comes off of the assembly.
shifter02_zpsf80ee988.jpg

since i was using a shift boot, i didnt need part number one in the above pic, or the part indicated in the photo below.

shifter_diy_03_zps000bc4d0.jpg

with those off, i bolted in the shifter assembly, hooked up the shifter cable, and took the stock trim piece (number 2 in first pic) and glued it to the woodgrain trim piece.

a couple things, i dont have a boot retainer so the bottom of the boot is just kinda spread out as best as i could get it, doesnt lok too bad but def would be much better with a stock boot retainer.

i left this for last bc it is something for which i have no pictures and couldnt find any while doing mine, the gated assemblies from the TL/CL and Prelude have two locking mechanisms to prevent accidental shifts; one from park to reverse, and the other from neutral to reverse, both operated by the depressing the brake pedal. the stock assembly has both as well but one is done by the brake pedal (park to reverse), but the other (neutral to reverse) uses the button.
now, with the shifter assembly in hand, push the button on the right side that releases the locking mechanisms a few times to get an idea of how they work. the one closest to the front of the shifter (the end with P on it) is the shift lock for park. The one closest to the base of the shifter (the end with D1<>D2) is the one for reverse. the park shift lock is taken care of with the wiring, the reverse shift lock isnt controlled in our cars because the Accord doesn't have the proper wiring for it since we have a button. This is the plastic piece that you're going to have to cut.
in the tutorial he used a dremel, i dont have one but i was able to use a pair of wire cutters and cut the plastic piece in half from the top and finished off with another cut. pretty easy.

Soon after i did this mod i questioned why i spent the money but now, im glad i did! it really cleans up the interior and looks so much better.
heres how mine turned out.

DSC_0849.jpg

DSC_0856.jpg

DSC_0857.jpg

Shift boot was purchased from this eBay seller

you said you didnt want a leather knob, but thats fine cus you can put on whatever knob you want really

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
Dude tht looks great.. Kinda makes it look like a fake manual. It is very clean though.

JV6

Reaction score
Here's old pic of mine lol, looks shorter now though. oem 5spd shift boot with Nokya push down knob

2mzz9xj.jpg

David

Reaction score
hmm guys those knobs are awesome.. I like them. thanks for sharing them.. but i think they are little expensive. Anyhow but I like the designs of them and I think they looks brilliant in them. Good sharing. I like it.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Holy Jesus Kyle.. mine is so low my thumb rubs on the e-brake, yours is so high it's just .. high .. hahahaha. Kinda diggin it though, not gonna lie ..

Back on topic .. OP should go with a gated shifter .. You only need to trim A LITTLE bit of material off the shifter and the center console for it to fit nicely, then add a couple washers to level out the shifter assembly. From there, you can buy manual knobs and just put them on there. This should be a lot cheaper than buying a fancy auto shifter knob .. If you're going to get the TL/Prelude shifter and cover it with a boot, then you might as well keep the oem one and cover that with a boot. Just sayin' .

02accordcoupe

Reaction score
Yes, avoid those, lol.

I think I might have had a thread on this awhile back. I personally dislike the top-button knobs and the non-buttons ones you have to push down on.

I really want one from a newer Cadillac CTS...

Cadillac-CTS-2010-Image-Interior-01-1024.jpg

2010-Cadillac-CTS-Sport-Wagon-4.jpg

They're just like $180, lol.

The issue you're gonna run into with switching knobs is the button. I like the side button but some don't. If you get a knob without a button you either have to push down on it or have the shift lock constantly engaged. Some people don't mind that but bump the knob and you're going into Neutral or even Reverse, lol.
DO you think one of these would fit with little modification??? I ask because I work for GM and I may be able to get one at a serious discount to try.

Mikey

Reaction score
Did you run into the issue below, with it not sitting level?

then add a couple washers to level out the shifter assembly.
This the only issue I've seen. That and finding them, complete, for a reasonable price.

DO you think one of these would fit with little modification??? I ask because I work for GM and I may be able to get one at a serious discount to try.
Just before I left my job at GM I started contemplating this. I couldn't even get them for a good price so I let it go. What you should do, if you have access, order one or "borrow" one, lol, and test fit it. Im sure the knob would fit any post. Then again GM is funny like that so maybe not. Do some research, lol. If the knob fits, use it, cut your post down and throw a boot on it.

Dukebb23

Duke Blue Devils
Reaction score
^Is that a automatic shift knob?
I have come to the realization that I will probably just end up going with the momo shift knob.

I do appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

Back