Bolt ons...discussion

talontsiawd

Reaction score
So, i'm not content with my power with my 4 banger 5spd. I've had 3 accords, one with I/H/E and really, it felt louder lol. It did nothing but change the power band. I considered alot the "engine mods" on the 5th gen i drove as cosmetic mods.

But....Can we make any real power without headwork? Not that i plan on that but i definitely will not touch the bottom end what so ever. It just seems like a 2.3 liter can make something but I guess i've yet to see it with bolt ons.

I know there is alot of info but this is more to "discuss" than say, this intake is the best, etc. I can find info on parts but i've yet to see real results with a comprehensive bolt on only mod list.

EnjoiPugs

Reaction score
I have no real proof of power added in my accord. But my butt dyno feels more power with the I/H/E combo that I have. Mostly in the higher rpms of course. Is it a lot? no. Is it better than stock? yes. Was it worth the money? not in my opinion. Perhaps with a new tune, hi flow cat, underdrive pullies, and proper maintenance you can have a decently powerful bolt on car, but I just don't see it being worth all the money when you could use FI or drop in an H22.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
all ive got on my 99 is the intake i had on my 98, but cut from a cai to a sri. i just put it on for looks and sound. i never really felt a huge gain, if any, from an intake. when i put a catback on my 98, the power definitely changed....for the worse, haha. def felt that i lost a good amount of torque, maybe even some power. worst of all, it was annoying as ****, haha. the only exhaust ill put on my 99 is a new oem system, haha. i might do a head just for looks, but im afraid of losing some power again, haha, so im unsure about that still.

in all, i really feel i/h/e doesnt do much for our cars, aside from looks.

thejameshimself

Reaction score
2.3L could get you power but ours gets you 30 mpg. You'll be lucky if you got 150hp without touching the block - up to you if it's worth it.

SpEeD LuNaTiKz

Reaction score
If you want something that will give you more power you could go with an H22 head, In the of my mags that I had just gotten they put one of the f23 block and did the dyi on what parts you need. They were putting it in to a crx so they had to do more then we would have to do. But he got 200 to the wheels with just the head and the pistions that they put in. I think everything came to around 1500 but we could get away with less since we already have the block and dont need axles or new mounts. I will find the mag in my room and post up the pics for you. After reading it it seems like a good option over swapping the whole motor also the guy added cams and some other small things and bumped up the power to around 260.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
just slap a 100shot of nitrous on it and call it ad ay thats still under bolt on category..

or if you got money.,Boost it..I dont have any head or bottom end work as of now and its fine.and i also just hooked up nitrous also.
theres alot of options out there,just depends on your money situation

finch13

Reaction score
Weight reduction? Parasitic power loss reduction?

Easiest and cheapest way to freeing up existing power. I have both the A/C system and P/S system removed. The engine is noticeably a bit more eager to rev and both systems free up about 35-40 lbs. of weight.

H-town_Ryda_06

Reaction score
Haha I was thinking about that today.. I traded my dad cars today and I drove his 98 I4 auto w/cai and wow.... these 4cyl suck... :fail: I am soo used to my v6 and now that I have my Unichip and with my intake and strut and rear swaybars I feel a big difference from stock and I still need to install my UR SS underdrive pullies and finish my diy grounding kit... then my car will have serious power improvement.. and eventually slap on header/exhaust combo.. but today driving my dads 4cyl... I am not liking the performance.... I say sell them and get v6 :D

finch13

Reaction score
Haha I was thinking about that today.. I traded my dad cars today and I drove his 98 I4 auto w/cai and wow.... these 4cyl suck... :fail: I am soo used to my v6 and now that I have my Unichip and with my intake and strut and rear swaybars I feel a big difference from stock and I still need to install my UR SS underdrive pullies and finish my diy grounding kit... then my car will have serious power improvement.. and eventually slap on header/exhaust combo.. but today driving my dads 4cyl... I am not liking the performance.... I say sell them and get v6 :D

So you love your slushbox too?

:hide:

thejameshimself

Reaction score

Hrmph. I still like my manual better.

Back