Bolt ons...discussion

lwlba

Reaction score
to my knowledge, there is no way in earth can you get an h22 swap legalized in a 2002 car. honestly, if you want some power out of it, you have to do it illegally. an h22 would work so would boost, but neither's legal. I'm sorry to say this, (and you probably have heard it amilion times), if you want something decently fast.. u just gotta let go of your car, or do swaps/fi. And if you just can't part with your beloved accord (like me), then boost/swap would be your only option.

AFAccord

Reaction score
If you want something that will give you more power you could go with an H22 head, In the of my mags that I had just gotten they put one of the f23 block and did the dyi on what parts you need. They were putting it in to a crx so they had to do more then we would have to do. But he got 200 to the wheels with just the head and the pistions that they put in. I think everything came to around 1500 but we could get away with less since we already have the block and dont need axles or new mounts. I will find the mag in my room and post up the pics for you. After reading it it seems like a good option over swapping the whole motor also the guy added cams and some other small things and bumped up the power to around 260.

That's A LOT more than just the head there buddy. Just the head by itself will drop compression down to 8.8 because of the larger chambers. 200whp was with OE K20 pistons and 11.5 compression. He only hit 248whp AFTER some huge *** Pro3 cams and Wiseco 12.8cr pistons. Being in nazi cali, he doesn't have the option to tune much unless he's willing to swap back to stock, which isn't an option with the G23 setup.

Haha I was thinking about that today.. I traded my dad cars today and I drove his 98 I4 auto w/cai and wow.... these 4cyl suck... :fail: I am soo used to my v6 and now that I have my Unichip and with my intake and strut and rear swaybars I feel a big difference from stock and I still need to install my UR SS underdrive pullies and finish my diy grounding kit... then my car will have serious power improvement.. and eventually slap on header/exhaust combo.. but today driving my dads 4cyl... I am not liking the performance.... I say sell them and get v6 :D

It's the auto trannys that suck, not the motor. My 'sucky' 4cyl stayed right beside a modded V6 Accord (190whp/175wtq) up to 70mph, then started to pull away after that...

Charlie said:
mods are:
AEM CAI
OBX headers
ebay exhaust
gutted cat
Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley Set
Unichip

IMG.jpg

I say, "F" your V6. :booty:

lol

gains, bolts-ons, and accord do not mix in the same sentence hahaha

Not without tuning. :action-smiley-042:

Im glad I never wasted money on bolt ons. You could shave the head. its not that costly. Just need a new head gasket. of course we have a interference engine so you probably couldn't take off much. Can we advance ignition timing on our cars? or is it completely controlled by the ecu

Controlled by the ECU. But shaving the head, retarding cam timing and advancing ignition timing is an easy 20-25whp. No one here seems to understand that. :)

Your only gaining 50hp for an h22 swap. Why not just do a turbo build like shaheed. Your f23 long gears are nice with turbo. I think shaheed is selling his kit and long block for 2,000$ but im not sure

No one here has funds for a killer build like Shahid, but his kit is a great opportunity for a more fun Accord.

Last edited:

mraw112

Reaction score
Did you get to 186whp with out even touching the block? Thats impressive. Just curious how much did you shave off the block/ whats your compression? I take it you have a chipped obd1 ecu. Is that how you advanced the ignition timing? I dont know much about those chips. Also any videos of your car running?

AFAccord

Reaction score
From the head gasket down is stock, minus drivetrain.

My head was milled a bit more than I wanted it to be, but it looks to be about .035", but it may be a bit more. If it's around the .035" that I've measured, then compression is probably around 10.0-10.1.

EMS/OBD1 ECU is the only way to correctly advance timing on the F23, and it does wonders. I don't really look at is as "chips" and I hate when someone refers to it as 'chipped'. It does use an EEPROM, but that's just a means of storing the tune. Socketing an ECU and throwing an ebay/spoon/jdm chip and calling it 'tuned' is for ricer fags IMO.

I have a couple dash cams of 0-60 and 0-100 runs, but nothing special.

thejameshimself

Reaction score
My head was milled a bit more than I wanted it to be, but it looks to be about .035", but it may be a bit more. If it's around the .035" that I've measured, then compression is probably around 10.0-10.1.

I always assumed your were pushing 11:1 or more. Good to know my motor has potential!

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I always assumed your were pushing 11:1 or more. Good to know my motor has potential!

He does have a pretty sweet build. N/A is the best for our accords but probably the most expensive. IMO going N/A means your going to have to do things the right way to acheive the best performance. Turbo kits on ebay are cheap, worthless and can be put together in no time. It doesnt take much knowledge to micky mouse install a cheap turbo kit and blow ur engine to hell.

Last edited:

AFAccord

Reaction score

Definitely not 11:1. I think I'd be chewing valves if you managed 11:1 with the F23 dinner plates.

He does have a pretty sweet build. N/A is the best for our accords but probably the most expensive. IMO going N/A means your going to have to do things the right way to acheive the best performance. Turbo kits on ebay are cheap, worthless and can be put together in no time. It doesnt take much knowledge to micky mouse install a cheap turbo kit and blow ur engine to hell.

I believe boost is best for our F's. The Accord's tall gears, long stroke, bad r/s ratio, and generally low-end breathing abilities makes for a beast when boosted. But you're right, building for N/A is a painstaking trial and error process, while piecing together an ebay kit or buying a kit outright with just an FMU (or less, as many people here have) is a down right shame. Jeremiah on here has the right idea. OBD1 and boost, then a quick swap back to stock for inspections.

IMO, stay away of boost if you're using the stock ECU, otherwise, go all out!

PumaFumé

Reaction score
has anyone put the h23 head on our f23 motor? how much better / does the $ pay off?

Back