Car randomly turns off....

00Silvy

Reaction score
So twice now in the past 2 weeks, while I'm driving my accord, I believe on a deacceleration (or stop and go traffic) my car just turns off. Out of no where, I don't even notice it until I go to hit the gas. I put it in neutral and starts right back up. No noises no overheating, no codes just turns off.

2000 Accord EX coupe V6 Just rolled 100k miles a few days ago.

Any ideas at all?

sweagle02

Reaction score
I'd check the ignition first, naturally. Perhaps your keys are too heavy and are turning off the car by mistake. Check that first. Take off all your keys and just use the car key and see what happens. Good luck.

00Silvy

Reaction score
There's only one other key and key chain on the keys.... Unless your saying a lose ignition and somehow turns the car off?...

Any other ideas? It is raining today...?

jdm00accord

Reaction score
had a problem on my old 98 accord sedan that sounds the same. if rpms dropped below 2k my car would shut off, i had to have constant pressure on the gas in order for it not to shut off. so i took it to my familys shop and they told me i got a tank of bad gas. they sent me to walmart to get a bottle (maybe 2? i dont remember) of chevron techron fuel system cleaner, poured it in the gas tank and i dont remember exactly (this was like four years ago), but i think it immediately worked.

00Silvy

Reaction score
Well it doesn't happen everytime. It's happened twice. So it's had different gas in both times it happened.

Maybe it could be a loose ignition or ?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Have you tried searching yet? I recall a few threads relative to member's cars shutting off.

Definitely look into the ignition recall.

lifelongbread

Reaction score
my car had that same problem, but i just cleaned the battery terminals and now i havent had that problem for atleast a month or 2 now.....
its free and simple.

vtecaccord88

Reaction score
my 99 sedan does the same thing...itll be running and then it just shuts off..ive been told that it could be the chip in the key or that it could be a bad ground somewhere...mines been doing it randomly for almost a year but it doesnt happen often enough for me to wanna fix it. lol

00Silvy

Reaction score
Thanks all! I'm going to look into the ignition recall. Any guidelines or a certain date on that recall or you think I should be able to just do it?

Back