Car starts and dies right after

BlackV62K2

Reaction score
This has never happened to me before for the 8 years I've owned the car. Tonight, the car wouldn't start and stay idle. It would start up and the RPM drops to 0 and the engine would cut out. It took me about 5 turns with stepping on the gas to prevent the revs from dropping and the engine cutting out. Car seems to drive fine once it can get started, although it seems a little leaner than usual (judging from the AEM AFR gauge). The CEL also came on while driving home.

Any ideas what could cause this?

IR II IC IK

Reaction score
you know what's funny. the day i purchased my accord 01 ex coupe used of course. the check engine light came on while i was driving. didn't think to much of it until in the middle of a main highway at midnight it died out. being new to driving stick i thought i stalled. started up the car and it would die out within 2 seconds unless you kept revving the engine. but the rpm's would not exceed about 3-4k. i managed to drive it home without stopping at lights. ran the codes for the CEL and it came out to be a knock sensor and a crankshaft sensor. replaced the two and it has run perfectly fine ever since. run your codes to be sure but your story sounds similar to mine.

BlackV62K2

Reaction score
I don't own anything to scan the CEL codes and it's too late to drive it to the shop. I've reset the ecu (disconnect battery and pulled backup fuse). I'll give it a drive tmw to see if the CEL pops up again.

I did fill up the gas tank today. It was about 1/4 full before I filled up.

BlackV62K2

Reaction score
is it drivable? mine technically wasn't although i managed to get it home.

Once it starts up and doesn't die right away, it'll drive fine. Only thing was the CEL came on after awhile but nothing weird was happening at the time. I filled up 92 in the states instead of the usual 94 at chevron in Canada. Not sure if that matters. But my car has a j32a2 and it's supercharged.

riCewu

Reaction score
Hey! I have had my car for almost a year and a half, a few months after I bought the car, I experienced the same problem. I had CEL checked and I got all misfire codes and EGR code. They dont mean much, but clean out your EGR port just because.

So I went and did some research and changed spark plugs, replaced all brand new coil packs, cleaned EGR, bought a new fuel pump, etc. I spent over $3500 trying to fix the problem.

Didnt happen. Until a few months ago, The part cost me $100-$200, I dont remember exactly, but I was told by Storm (member here) that it might be heat soak issue. I went and changed my FPR and voila! Never had my car die again, it will still fluctuate though, but has never died.

BlackV62K2

Reaction score
I had some misfire issues awhile due to a clogged egr. The rpm would jump up and down plus misfire. That was fixed by cleaning the egr valve/port. Could be the fpr but I would need a new rising rate one like the one that comes with the Comptech sc kit.

Going to see if the problem continues.

BlackV62K2

Reaction score
Still having this issue. I forgot to mention, my car does have a J32A2 (01 motor I believe) and it's SC'd. The car itself is an 02 (with a stock J30 ECU)and it's running an aftermarket FPR from Comptech. So the PCM should apparently have the fix already. So the only other thing I would change is the FPR but I'm not using a stock one.

I notice the temp gauge is a little higher than usual too even though it's winter. I have the Mugen cooling mods that some of the V6P guys have (fan switch, thermostat and rad cap) + the thermoblock gaskets. Running 50/50 coolant with wetter water as well.

Back