Car starts and dies right after

storms

Reaction score
Has the car been tuned after SC was installed? it sounds like car is not getting enough fuel at start up. Possibly running to lean. If car is running lean that could cause car to run hotter! One more Q have you changed the O2 sensors? there only good for about 80k!

Last edited:

BlackV62K2

Reaction score
I've been driving around with the SC for years now without this problem. This just happened out of the blue. This doesn't happen on cold starts. Very similar to what's described in the warm startup thread only difference is my car doesn't have a stock FPR and an 02 ECU (which should have the fix).

BlackV62K2

Reaction score
Ran into this problem again, so as a test I disconnected the vac hose to the FPR and it started up no problem. Only thing is the fuel psi jumped up to 65psi with the hose disconnected @ warm idle! I have the FPR set to 35psi (hose connected) @ warm idle. I think most FPR should only jump up around 10psi when the vac hose is disconnected. Looks like the Comptech FPR is busted. Those things are $280 brand new :(.

Fuzz

Reaction score
Is it a fuel pressure regulator, or a 'fuel management unit' that changes the PSI in a non-linear fashion to boost / vacume pressure.

If it is just an adjustable / aftermarket fuel pressure REGULATOR (1 to 1 linear scale), then any model will do fine. You can pick one up for $120ish.

Last edited:

BlackV62K2

Reaction score
The FPR that comes with the Comptech SC kit is a rising rate one, not 1:1. I have been considering ditching that though and getting a 1:1 FPR and tuning it with my Emanage.

Shofast

Reaction score
My 1999 v6 does the weak start/stalling when heat soaked. I am going to try the FPR test and if that doesn't fix it I guess it is the Main relay. Every honda should come with an extra one of those in the glove box.

Back