Clear Tailights Legal in California???

Mike's_Taffeta

Reaction score
So the other day as I pulled into my parking spot at school, a motorcycle cop pulled up behind me, so I knew he was either getting me for my tinted taillights or was doing the "you are driving a highly stolen vehicle and just want to make sure this one isn't stolen"

So he comes to the window and tells me that my taillight tint is illegal. He said I can have all red tailights, or ALL CLEAR TAILLIGHTS as long as I have red LEDs. So I said to him "I'm pretty sure the clear tail lights are illegal" and he said nop they're legal as long as you have red leds.

He gave me a warning ticket instead of an actual ticket which was pretty cool. I asked a cop friend of mine if he knew the deputy that pulled me over and said yeah that he's an a$$hole.

I think he liked my decal which is why he wrote the warning instead lol.

f7eb9719.jpg

inspired1

High Society
Reaction score
Well, that's if they are the OEM all clear tail lights. Like the Lexus RX350.

I have ALL CLEAR sedan Tail lights and they're illegal as hell.

Mike's_Taffeta

Reaction score
The tint isn't that dark, you can still see the red through the tint. It just looks dark cause its in the shade. My cop friend said that the tint isn't illegal and that that sheriff was just trying to get me for anything, but didn't have anything to get me with.

smoky

Reaction score
i had my old tails sprayed and i also got pulled over for it..and he told me it was illegal to do that

but mine were as dark as yours..your sh!t is dark! lol..but luckily he let me drive away with no ticket or fix it ticket :)

Back