Custom Exhaust Help

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm looking to build a custom exhaust for my V6 coupe and need a little help.
I want a single outlet, maybe angled, but don't know how to lay it out really.
I like Sleeper Cell's exhaust a lot, looks wise and sound wise. A while back my whole stock cat-back fell off so I was driving around with headers to cat then nothing for a couple months. I actually liked it quite a bit but there was drone due to no resonator.

So I'm thinking of doing a single exit, angled exhaust, maybe even without a muffler and just a blast pipe. I liked the sound before and never had problems with the cops like that.

I have a friend who works at some national welding thing and he said he can supply the pipes and weld it up for me if I buy the pipes. He doesn't know too much about cars so how would I draw it out for him? Like the different bends and angles and where to put the hangers and whatnot.

Also what would be a good size? Stock is 2.25" and most aftermarket ones are usually 2.5". I want a single exit for looks and cost so would 2.5" be too restrictive or should I go with 2.75"?

In the mean time I might just have my friend weld up some tips with flanges to bolt up in place of the mufflers to see if I like the sound mufflerless or not and I can always just bolt the mufflers back on if I don't

Sorry for the long winded questions haha
Thanks in advance.

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Stock is 2". If youre V6 and wanna go single. Go with 2.75"-3" piping. Put 1-2 resinator and you should be good to go.

JetLife

Reaction score
i'd say got 2.5", i feel like any bigger you'll loose too much backpressure and since your not boosted it would do more harm then good.

But im right here with you, im currently looking into getting an exhaust. im also thinking about converting to a single angled exit. Not sure yet though.

SO MANY CHOICES !!!! :eusa_wall:

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
Yeah I thought stock v6 is 2.25"

So how would I tell my friend how to bend all the pipes and whatnot?

i'd say got 2.5", i feel like any bigger you'll loose too much backpressure and since your not boosted it would do more harm then good.

But im right here with you, im currently looking into getting an exhaust. im also thinking about converting to a single angled exit. Not sure yet though.

SO MANY CHOICES !!!! :eusa_wall:

Even with a single exit? Most aftermarket duals are 2.5".

Let me know what you end up going with if you get one before I do.

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
Found a local place that can do a custom exhaust. Got good reviews as well, giving them a call this Monday for a quote.

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
Never got around to calling the place lol.
Where could I get the pipes, what size wall thickness (if it matters), and how many feet of it? I want stainless steel but if I got aluminized and painted it with some high heat and welded a stainless tip on, would it rust?

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
I was checking out Jegs and found what I wanted.
Going with:
8' of 2.5" aluminized steel (comes in 4' sections)
26" Magnaflow resonator
and a foot long 3.5" polished stainless tip

Doing the stainless pipes since they're only $15 for 4 feet compared to $60 for stainless. The pipes should outlast the life of my car since it has 225k. I'll paint the pipes black with some high heat paint to help with the rust a little more but I'll leave the tip polished.

Total comes out to just over $100, I have a buddy that can do the welding. Still need to find a flange to bolt it to the cat and a few hangers as well.

Figured I'll have a few inches from the cat, weld the resonator, few more inches, cut the pipe at an angle, weld the rest of the pipes to that angle so it goes slightly to the right and up a little with the tip on the end of course. That way there's no bending required.

Last edited:

mo.v6accord

Reaction score
What did you end up doing? I also think that a single outlet v6 would be awesome. If it sounds and looks good. Sleeper FTW.

Back