Dealer flash

scguy2473

Reaction score
For anyone who has swapped out an ECU, whether for a tranny swap or any other reason.....when you went to the dealer to have your immobilizer flashed or whatever it is they do....how much did it cost you. I'm about to do my swap soon and wanted some idea of how much it's going to cost...Thanks

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
You don't get your immobilizer flashed.. The only thing it's there for is to match the chip in your OEM car key to the ECU so that you can start the car. What costs money at the dealer regarding that process is programming your key to a specific ECU. I think you have the two confused. You can't 'flash' or 'reflash' our OBD2 ECUs, and if you could there would be no point to it.

jdmcg3

Reaction score
i lost my key once, which happened to be my only key. it was like $115 to have the car
're-flashed' so that the new key with the new chip would work.

but i have a question on this topic..

since im about to be doing my swap soon.. ill be converting to a p28 ecu. an ecu that doesnt have immobilizer programmed in it... so i want to know what do i need to do in order to make this work? do i have to just go and get my key/ignition reflashed?

honestly i havent done a search on just this topic.. but in the hours on hours of research about just doing the swap i never saw anything about this.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I swapped to a '02 CL Type-S ECU, but I never went to the dealer for anything. Guessing my mechanic knew to what to do to make my key work with the new ECU. I'll see if I can get an answer from him as to how he did it.

Halabeaster54

Reaction score
I swapped to a '02 CL Type-S ECU, but I never went to the dealer for anything. Guessing my mechanic knew to what to do to make my key work with the new ECU. I'll see if I can get an answer from him as to how he did it.

Yes I was going to ask you how you did this part.

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
i lost my key once, which happened to be my only key. it was like $115 to have the car
're-flashed' so that the new key with the new chip would work.

but i have a question on this topic..

since im about to be doing my swap soon.. ill be converting to a p28 ecu. an ecu that doesnt have immobilizer programmed in it... so i want to know what do i need to do in order to make this work? do i have to just go and get my key/ignition reflashed?

honestly i havent done a search on just this topic.. but in the hours on hours of research about just doing the swap i never saw anything about this.

Nope, P28 is an OBD1 ECU, and it has no immobilizer. Immobilizer is what creates the need to flash your key with the ECU (program it). You can just use any key cut at Wal-Mart or your hardware store to start and run it, no problem.

scguy2473

Reaction score

Thanks...I'd appreciate it!

jdmcg3

Reaction score
Nope, P28 is an OBD1 ECU, and it has no immobilizer. Immobilizer is what creates the need to flash your key with the ECU (program it). You can just use any key cut at Wal-Mart or your hardware store to start and run it, no problem.

yeeee!

thanks nikita. rep points for you!

Back