DEI heat wrap vs cool tape on a short ram

99accord boi

Reaction score
as we all know short ram intakes give some gain over stick air boxes but we all know the mail flaw of the short ram, once engine bay temps go up these intakes tend to take away power
my freind told me that i should heat wrap it one night after running through the canyon wen we popped my hood and noticed that my intake was too hot to touch
now i would like to get some input on u guys as to wat i should use, both cool tape and heat wrap are products of dei
i just want to know from personall experience wat has worked better for other people i cont care how it looks as it is purely functional
and yes i do kow heat wrap is a double edged sword
thanks for ur input

cfox28

Reaction score
imo, heat wrap doesn't do anything. i have an ebay cai, and decided to put heat wrap on it cause i like the look, and if the cai gets damaged its not a big loss. others will say that heat wrap will keep in moisture, and have the potential to rust the intake. in other applications such as headers, people will say that it will retain the heat and weaken the metal. all in all i don't think those assumptions are correct. the heat would evap the moisture ect. its just for looks imo

99accord boi

Reaction score
Meh .. you don't need it ..

ohh but i do
i can deff feel the diff in power when my car is warm especially in the summer time
in the winter time like 60 degree days the car is alot faster compared to lets say saturday wen i was 103 in socal

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Lol .. then you should also do a throttle body bypass and get hood spacers :)

99accord boi

Reaction score
tb was bypassed wen i got the car 6 yrs ago i tried to put it back to normal and it started misfiring so its still bypassed
and i dont like hood spacers

001Stunna

Reaction score
as we all know short ram intakes give some gain over stick air boxes but we all know the mail flaw of the short ram, once engine bay temps go up these intakes tend to take away power
my freind told me that i should heat wrap it one night after running through the canyon wen we popped my hood and noticed that my intake was too hot to touch
now i would like to get some input on u guys as to wat i should use, both cool tape and heat wrap are products of dei
i just want to know from personall experience wat has worked better for other people i cont care how it looks as it is purely functional
and yes i do kow heat wrap is a double edged sword
thanks for ur input

You DON'T need it. Why do i say so?
I wrapped my intake with it since i got the product for free. Before doing so i checked the air temperature coming in the engine through my scan tool. I checked it after doing the mod as well and the change was....within 2-3C

JetLife

Reaction score
I'm glad you arose this subject, I too was curious bout putting heat wrap around my sri.

Back