DIY cold air intake, CAI (PICS & Video!)

FreSH4dr

Reaction score
i figured i'd rather not have any chance of this thing coming loose so i;

bought some hose clamps
trimmed off about 1/2" from the intake tube so it seats fully in the gasket
cut off the bent tube coming out of the intake (and taped it off)

to fully seat the intake tube into the gasket i had to trim off about 1/2" of the top of the intake.

while i was trimming i took off the bent tube because air rushing past it would cause turbulence and reduce airflow.

to plug up the hole i just made i wrapped some electrical tape around it.

then i stuck it all together and tightened down the clamps. now it's not going anywhere.

as you can see it's firing straight forward towards the bumper.

when i originally did this i thought it sounded pretty much the same.

now, after cutting that bent tube off of the intake it now has a bit more aggressive sound. not super noticeable, but it's there.

also, with the stock intake configuration i would get a dark puff of smoke every time i went into vtec.

now this is gone! and the car seems a bit more lively in the top half of the rpm range.

of course this could be in my head (i haven't done performance mods before), but the smoking problem is now much better :)

EDIT: made a quick vid so you can hear how it sounds.

unnless ur temp guage isnt working, be carefull beasting on a cold egine...just sayin. bump

Didldak

Reaction score
Can't hear vtec crossover in any of the above videos.. lol
Maybe because the diy intake is still a bit restrictive.., or your camera wasn't able to pick it up clearly.

Here's mine with an ebay sri.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnYlRNo75vg

Oh and this one too..uphill. pretty much ends at 0:14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0ORDpv4WR0&feature=relmfu

:jerkit:

Yeah it's probably the camera, it can't really record sound very well :/

Made another video where it's little bit more noticeable, but trust me, it's TOTALLY different sound in real. Crank up your volume

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfQ7yadW02k

PS: I know I'm giving my tranny a hard time, but I promised her a new fluid + inline filter and cooler soon, so I'm hoping she'll forgive me :( It's a 218k miles old grandma

Last edited:

SportBilly

Reaction score
This is how mine looks like..
Auto zone filter (a friend gave it to me for free) and a tube half corner from Home Depot painted black...

536801_4964494640202_1991450233_n.jpg

Sound very loud....

Last edited:

mvsterchief

Reaction score
hey guys sorry, so I removed all the bumper screws and clips. I just noticed as a taking it off that the wheel well trim molding is holding the bumper and fender together...anything I could do to bypass it. Doesnt really look like it and its all glued on. Safe to just remove the molding altogether?

LeAccord

Reaction score
Is it preventing you from completely removing your front bumper? There should only be clips and two screws on each side of the car holding the bumper on.

LeAccord

Reaction score
Oh .. THAT wheel well trim .. Sorry, I wouldn't know, maybe someone else can chime in about that.

Feel around it, you may be able to remove it and then stick it back on .. Or if it were me, I'd rip that trim off and leave it off. Just mark sure you wash and wax that area afterwards.

Teesak

Reaction score
Saw another post where someone just removed the gasket that connects the resonator to the air intake and did this myself. I haven't had a real chance to test it yet but from a short ride it sounds a little louder low and mid end, basically sounds a little less whinny, but at high RPM it "screams" a little still but still sounds better.

Is it possible to remove the resonator without removing the front bumper? I want to try completely removing it but just had my bumper off a couple days ago and don't want to go through that process again.

Thanks for the insight.

PS i have a 99 coupe

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
Saw another post where someone just removed the gasket that connects the resonator to the air intake and did this myself. I haven't had a real chance to test it yet but from a short ride it sounds a little louder low and mid end, basically sounds a little less whinny, but at high RPM it "screams" a little still but still sounds better.

Is it possible to remove the resonator without removing the front bumper? I want to try completely removing it but just had my bumper off a couple days ago and don't want to go through that process again.

Thanks for the insight.

PS i have a 99 coupe

I could be wrong, but when installing my CAI, I had to take off the bumper to get the very last bolt out of the resonator.
It's a very long bolt that you can feel and almost get to with the wrench, but you can't see it without the bumper off. It's almost as close to the bumper as it could get. At least mine was.

Mine was also on my 99 coupe.

But the bumper isn't too bad to get off though :)

Back