DIY Reference Guide to OBD1 Conversions - Question and Anwer Thread

AFAccord

Reaction score
Passing the sniffer is one thing, passing the OBD2 scan in another.

I guess it depends where you're from...

eCtune user said:
Today it was my turn to bring my car to the Honda dealer for the yearly technical inspection (in holland called APK) 1st time with eCtune!!
After some instructions about the MIL and the code blinking procedure (throttle > 50%) I left the dealer... leaving the guys stunned and full of disbelief about what eCtune is and does.

Well... after some hours one of the guys called. We are having a minor problem. We can't get the CO level within the valid limits. (Something I was already afraid of) "So we think we have a real life opportunity for you, to proof eCtune."

So there I went... with my laptop... with my girlfriend ...

Hooked up the ECU and Ostrich.
Hooked up the dealers exhaust gas sniffer thingy.
Started the engine.

me: Ok.. guys.. how worse is it?
hd: Well... we have a 3% CO now.
(I did some lowering of the mixture)
hd: It just dropped to 1%. Cool!
(I lowered the mixture another small step)
hd: Sweet... now it's spot on.. Oh wait it drops a little bit more.
hd: Ok... is 0.35% now. This is perfect. (it should be lower the 0.5% to pass the test)

So.... ten minutes later everything was done. The guys at the dealer were even more stunned then this morning and were asking lots lots lots of things!!!!

Yet Another Honda dealer who knows what eCtune is, and what it's capable of. Very Happy

Ain't it sweet?

Leaning the mixture out tends drops the CO levels. HC increases drastically below ~12:1, and above 18:1. If HC is too high or raises with the leaner mixture, you'd probably want a little more timing (longer burn time). Remove timing if your NOx is too high. A clogged injector (or multiple) can create serious NOx/HC issues, since the overall mixture is spot-on, but total particles is above limits. There is tons of room for adjustments if your emissions center allows you the time to make them.

Jeremiah

Reaction score
For OBD2 scan tests, you just have to swap back injectors, and ecu back to stock. Which is what I'm in the middle of. I found my problem, I bent an injector pin on my RC engineering fuel injector sockets. So, Gotta get a new one of those... wire it in, and then should be good to go.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
can you please discuss how to do the IACV swap( I already have the adpater plate, OBD1 IACV and the 2wire plug for it)

OR EVEN BETTER explain how to get it to idle with the 3wire one..Please I will be doing this within a few weeks and need to know before i spend money on the ECU,wire conversion harness again..

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
you really dont need the IACV, you could have it tuned out.

if you want to wire it up, power goes to power, ground to ground. leave the resistance wire out

Back